Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

blown amp need help

dslkicksass
11-10-2002, 10:19 AM
as i was amping out my high and mids (using a different amp then my rockford) i ran out of time so i didnt finish. So i get in my car and go to the store to get a 40 (actually i was getting a coke) and i smelt this nasty ass smell and im like "hmm...must be from out side. Now remember i did not use or touch my rockford all day and it worked fine last night. Now when u look at the bottm of my rockford and you look in 2 of the 4 square holes under neith where u can see the mother board, the 4 black boxes with 3 wires coming out of them than go onto the motherboard on the power wire n ground wire side are fryed!!!! but they are fine on the speaker wire side :( someone please help. The amp is the punch 500.2, since its kinda new can i send it back to rockford? i bought it used so i dont have a reciept. Please let me know.

PaulD
11-10-2002, 10:49 AM
this is a good reason why equipment has become so expensive ..... and some companies (like DEI) only let authorized dealers install their stuff. They lose a lot of money on needless warranty stuff because the equipment was installed poorly or incompletely.

kicker1_solo
11-10-2002, 06:37 PM
I think something shorted out, sux0rs.

dslkicksass
11-11-2002, 12:10 AM
the question was does rockford repair amps, not lets get into why shits so expensive. Im in a pissed off mood so i dont wana listen to shit like that. For 1 i did have a shop install it. looks like it just shorted out so does rockford fix shit yes or no.

sparq
11-11-2002, 12:40 PM
They wont give you a warranty if you installed it yourself 99% of the time... looks like you are SOL my friend.

And if a SHOP installed it, fucking take it back and have them replace it for christ sake. But seriously I wouldnt go back to a shop like that... find a new shop after you get your amp. Id also request that they pay for it to be installed somewhere else since that short could have lead to your car catching on fire - I wouldnt have much faith in them installing it correctly this time.

dslkicksass
11-11-2002, 04:38 PM
yo sparq i had circuit city run the wires n their gorund wire did spark a hole in my carpet when it went bad. they said they fixed the ground. Could that of went bad again and caused it to fry my amp?!? tell me what you think. should i bitch at them? i didnt haev them install my amp but they fucked so much shit up in my car

PaulD
11-11-2002, 06:06 PM
well, now I am really confused as to who did what ..........

If CC actually hooked the wires to the amp, then it's there problem. If you just used some wires that they had previously run, and hooked the amp up yourself - Rockford MIGHT accept as a return. Be advised though, if they see the damage and conclude it was a faulty install - they won't honor any warranty.

dslkicksass
11-11-2002, 06:54 PM
the amp was installed by a guy i know that owns a shop. but CC ran all the wires but they did not connect them to my RF amp. But their wires did spark a hole in my carpet.(as in there was a fire) so i think it as the ground the did.

PaulD
11-12-2002, 04:24 PM
I could believe the power wire would do that ....... where was the sytem in all this - even a 400 amp fuse would have blown before it destroyed the amp.

wagsaccordsir
11-12-2002, 07:47 PM
Sounds like somebody crossed some wires, and it gorunded out. CC ran the wires, and hooked nothing up, so that releases them of all liabilty. Your friend or whoever hooked it up, did something wrong.. Most amps are very easy to hook up. Rockford being the easiest. So there shouldnt have been any way to hook it up wrong, unless a moron was doing it.
Just suck it up and go buy a new one. Fosgate isn't going to replace it do to un-technically qualified installation. Sorry to hear about your dilema, but this show you to have things professionally installed. Then you have them resposible for any problems created from the installaion.

dslkicksass
11-12-2002, 07:54 PM
The amp was professionally installed, the guy that did it owns a shop and is sponsered by JL Audio. Fuck it ill just got with the JL amps like i wanted to in the first place. Any one need a paper weight? lol i got one that says rockford on it.

Cfmotorsports
11-13-2002, 05:09 AM
RF is pretty easy to deal with, it was one of the main companys that we delt with for several years. if the amp is melted down on the inside and it is less then 1 year old than there is a good chance they will fix or replace it with you paying shipping to and from RF. Go to there web site get there tech line number and call them and get an approval code to send the amp back 1st. if they give you that code there is an even better chance they will pay fix it. they will also have it on file that your are sending it back and you can explain to them just what happened. i have had several custmers do this. after it was out of my shops warranty and they fixed them 75% of the time.http://www.rockfordfosgate.com/2002home/

Add your comment to this topic!