Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

68 Cutlass stalling

Pat 68
07-29-2007, 02:55 PM
My 68 Cutlass has a tendency to stall when in drive. I really have to press the gas lightly to get it moving. Flooring it off the line always kills it. In park I can rev it all I want.

350 motor, 2 speed trans.

I have very little mechanical skill, so I am hoping there is an easy fix that I am over looking.

'97ventureowner
07-29-2007, 03:44 PM
Welcome to AF! I am Moving this thread to Oldsmobile Classics forum.

maxwedge
07-30-2007, 03:13 PM
Welcome to AF. This can be caused by several things, carb too lean, bad accelerator pump, timing set wrong, these things all must be checked out by someone experienced with this generation vehicle.

blkmonday
08-10-2007, 10:01 PM
sounds like your timing is off...welcome to the wonderful world of a points ignition. if your going to keep this car i suggest unless you change over to electronic ignition you read the posts on setting points and setting timing. oldsmobiles are famous for the timing to walk around..(i think my 66 425 holds the record for timing jumps)..i suggest "pertronix" electronic conversion kit..very easy install...and no more points. otherwise i siggest a new set of points and a good tachometer/dwell meter and some feeler guages and a good classic olds manual and a timing light.

Add your comment to this topic!