Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

tranny dead???

pb1998
07-29-2007, 01:36 PM
2000 Windstar, 107,000 miles....

went to back out of parking spot last nite and reversed ok, but when i applied gas after putting van into gear, it would not budge. Had to get help pushing it into parking spot.

No gears are working at all....no warnings that it was about to happen, have taken it out of town several times lately and no probs

Anyone have this happen and it not be a need to replace the whole tranny? Maybe is there another part that is broke or loose, etc.???

I would appreciate any help here.....we are supposed to be going on our first family vacation in a week and now this.....

meditlondon.com
07-29-2007, 05:37 PM
This is almost exactly what my 95 did on me 2 months ago. I had a flashing overdrive light (apparently serves the same purpose as the check engine light except for the transmisson computer) and a check engine light. No warning or hint what so ever.

LeSabre97mint
07-29-2007, 09:09 PM
Hello

How long have you owned the van? Have you checked the fluid level?

Regards

Dan

pb1998
07-29-2007, 09:49 PM
we have had the vanv for 3.5 years, we bought it used....fluid level with engine idling was overly high for tranny fluid.....wonder what that might indicate????

LeSabre97mint
07-30-2007, 09:54 PM
we have had the vanv for 3.5 years, we bought it used....fluid level with engine idling was overly high for tranny fluid.....wonder what that might indicate????

Hello

It sounds like the pump isn't working so the fluid isn't being pumped from the pan into the trannie. Just a guess.

Regards

Dan

pb1998
07-30-2007, 10:11 PM
well, we had it towed into a really reputable tranny shop 30 miles away....they are dismantling it in the morning....just that alone costs $387....can't wait to hear what all they find....will post as soon as i find out

Thanks for your help and insight.....

baritonejim
07-31-2007, 12:57 PM
well, we had it towed into a really reputable tranny shop 30 miles away....they are dismantling it in the morning....just that alone costs $387....can't wait to hear what all they find....will post as soon as i find out

Thanks for your help and insight.....

The same problem occured to us yesturday in our '95 Windstar. I am very curious to hear what your mechanic found...

pb1998
07-31-2007, 03:29 PM
Ugh, I am so sorry that you are having the same problem....i wouldn't wish these problems on anyone!

Still waiting on the tranny shop to call....it is 3:30 here, so hopefully soon I can post back with some info....

pb1998
08-01-2007, 12:49 PM
Ok, this is what the mechanic said......

Something was sheared out inside the tranny assembly and the torque converter is shot-just as I suspected. (can't remember what was sheared out..) will find out.

Cost to do a overhaul to the tranny and fix those problems- $1883.

Cost to do overhaul and add a transmission cooler with 3 yr. 75,000 mile warranty- $2360.

I am not thrilled about the costs, and we have decided to go with the more expensive repair seeing as how the van will be paid off within a year and plan to keep it. I have read about people adding the transmission coolers and think it is an excellent idea.

I don't have a clue where the money is gonna come from, we are trying to get financing....

baritonejim
08-01-2007, 01:00 PM
Thanks for filling me in. We were able to get a mechanic to look at ours. He was only able to determine that the problem is internal to the tranny. Our van has 187,000 miles on it, so it's not worth fixing. It's time for us to look for a new one. Good luck with yours!

pb1998
08-01-2007, 01:26 PM
thanks. I hope you have luck getting a nice new van!! Wish I was off buying myself a brand new suburban myself......=)

Add your comment to this topic!