Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Airbag/immobiliser problem

mark carroll
07-28-2007, 12:43 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi I have now two problems that did not appear linked but let me explain. First of all I have a mk2 ph2 Clio and back in January hit a kerb which deployed the passenger seat airbag+pretensioner and a rear pretensioner. Now I changed everything but the airbag module so the system is still not working as these are intended to be used once and changed at a price of £350, since it's only a runabout for me I have just left it for now.

The second part of the story is after going away in May I came back to find the immobiliser light staying on solid and not letting me start the car. I fiddled with the central locking and eventually it fired up. The problem came back a month ago and I got it going again. It came back again last week and nothing will start it, I have changed Top Dead Centre sensor and wiring, checked all the earths and the Relays and fuses and for any signs or corrosion, even changed the pick up ring. People had said it would be the key but after phoning an auto locksmith he told me it would not be if it worked intermittently. So I bit the bullet and got it towed into Renault.

A girl phoned me yesterday and told me they had looked into it and it was my key so after me saying are you sure and her saying yes I gave the ok for a new one to be made up and was told to pick it up on Monday. Today the service manager phoned me and said they have looked at my car and asked if it had been in an accident so I explained what i've just told you guys. He said this is the fault the diagnostic machine is bringing up and the reason it is not starting and that they can not proceed until it's sorted.

I asked him why I had been phoned and told it was the key and he said he did not know. I also asked why if it had been working fine for months would this be a problem but he would not give me a direct answer. I also said it was obvious there would be a fault code to do with the module as it has not been changed but would this definately cause my starting problems and again no straight answer.

I'm puzzled as to what to do now I know the service manager knows his stuff but i've heard some horror stories about trial and error fault finding in Renault.
I know these cars now have no inertia switch so this must be built into the module which could explain it slightly but again I just wonder why it worked fine for 5 months.

Anyway a new airbag module is £350 unconfigured which is big difference from a £130 key. I can get the codes taking out for £60 but I would need to pay another £40 to get the car towed back home then send it off for a week and if it does not start after this it's another £40 just to get it back to the garage.

I'm just after any advice on what anybody with any technical knowledge thinks and if anybody has heard of cars not starting after an airbag module has triggered. I'm sorry to have to write so much but it's so complicated and i'm just not sure on what to do now. I have said I will phone the service manager back on Monday morning basically he is just after an ok to change the module.

fordas
09-12-2007, 02:20 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi I have now two problems that did not appear linked but let me explain. First of all I have a mk2 ph2 Clio and back in January hit a kerb which deployed the passenger seat airbag+pretensioner and a rear pretensioner. Now I changed everything but the airbag module so the system is still not working as these are intended to be used once and changed at a price of £350, since it's only a runabout for me I have just left it for now.

The second part of the story is after going away in May I came back to find the immobiliser light staying on solid and not letting me start the car. I fiddled with the central locking and eventually it fired up. The problem came back a month ago and I got it going again. It came back again last week and nothing will start it, I have changed Top Dead Centre sensor and wiring, checked all the earths and the Relays and fuses and for any signs or corrosion, even changed the pick up ring. People had said it would be the key but after phoning an auto locksmith he told me it would not be if it worked intermittently. So I bit the bullet and got it towed into Renault.

A girl phoned me yesterday and told me they had looked into it and it was my key so after me saying are you sure and her saying yes I gave the ok for a new one to be made up and was told to pick it up on Monday. Today the service manager phoned me and said they have looked at my car and asked if it had been in an accident so I explained what i've just told you guys. He said this is the fault the diagnostic machine is bringing up and the reason it is not starting and that they can not proceed until it's sorted.

I asked him why I had been phoned and told it was the key and he said he did not know. I also asked why if it had been working fine for months would this be a problem but he would not give me a direct answer. I also said it was obvious there would be a fault code to do with the module as it has not been changed but would this definately cause my starting problems and again no straight answer.

I'm puzzled as to what to do now I know the service manager knows his stuff but i've heard some horror stories about trial and error fault finding in Renault.
I know these cars now have no inertia switch so this must be built into the module which could explain it slightly but again I just wonder why it worked fine for 5 months.

Anyway a new airbag module is £350 unconfigured which is big difference from a £130 key. I can get the codes taking out for £60 but I would need to pay another £40 to get the car towed back home then send it off for a week and if it does not start after this it's another £40 just to get it back to the garage.

I'm just after any advice on what anybody with any technical knowledge thinks and if anybody has heard of cars not starting after an airbag module has triggered. I'm sorry to have to write so much but it's so complicated and i'm just not sure on what to do now. I have said I will phone the service manager back on Monday morning basically he is just after an ok to change the module.

hi if the led is lit permanently there is a code recognition communication error between the uch and injection computer,the air bag will not cause the vehicle not to start,if the key head was faulty the led will flash you can try it by removing the plip head.cheers

Add your comment to this topic!