Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Broke Turn Signal on 98 Custom

GringoPete
07-28-2007, 06:12 AM
I made the mistake of holding down the turn signal on my car when stopped at a light with wheel in turn position. When you let go of the wheel it gives a little and the turn signal turns off. So one day i held it as not to turn off. Now I have to turn it off manually when i use the turn signal.:banghead: Does anyone know how much it would cost to replace?

Mine has cruise control & intiment wipers.

LeSabre97mint
07-28-2007, 03:36 PM
Hello

Just a guess probable an hour labor (60.00-80.00) and part(s) 30.00-100.00.

formzy
08-20-2007, 01:45 PM
Are you saying that the switch doesn't cancel? You broke a spring inside the switch.One is for left side, one is for right. I have bought them in a package (2) at my local Murray's auto for about $3.

Now the problem is getting to the switch. If your capable it's not too bad a job. If you haven't done it try to find a local mechanic(like myself) that works out of my garage that could do this reasonable. A shop of dealer will probably charge over $200 in labor for this job. Myself I would charge $100 for the labor.

Air bag needs to be disarmed.
Steering wheel removed with wheel puller
Air bag coil gently removed and left hanging
Snap-ring removed with "snap-ring" compressor tool
Remove cover (metal with slots)
Remove spring (just fits over shaft)
Leave turn signal switch on shaft the remove broken spring and replace with new one.
Test
Replace items in reverse or removal.

Good Luck! Switch itself costs about $50. Springs are cheap! Labor is expensive!

GringoPete
08-20-2007, 07:47 PM
Thanks for the info guys!

I didnt realize there was that much labor involved in removing the turn signal.:smokin:

Add your comment to this topic!