Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

2001 Windstar Limited Stalls w/no warning or reason

5803 Bluebird
07-27-2007, 05:00 PM
We purchased a Ford Windstar Limited in May with only 63,000, miles. A week after we bought had it, the van would stall and nothing would come on to indicate that theres a problem. We took it back to the dealer and of coarse the computer they hooked it up to said nothing wrong and they couldnt get it to stall for them. A couple weeks later we took it to a Ford dealer and they thought possibly it was a bad seal and water was shorting things out. They replaced that and the stalling came back 2 weeks later. I took the van back to Ford this week they test drove it and it stalled for them but nothing was showing up on the computer or anything what the problem is. They decided it could be the computer panel which is under warranty they replaced that yesterday. I went to pick it up today and only got 2 blocks away and it stalled. Needless to say its back in their garage. They are putting a monitor (not sure of the name for it) they are going to drive it until it stalls to record whats going on in its system when it stalls. Has anyone ever experienced this type of problem? Its very frustrating :banghead: . We love the color, features and style of this van and really don't want to return it. :shakehead Please help!!!

wiswind
07-27-2007, 05:46 PM
I have read posts about fuel pump issues on your era (1999 and newer) Windstars.
It could be the fuel pump relay, PCM relay, or the fuel pump.
Best would be to just replace the 2 relays with new ones.....more money would be spent investigating them than new ones would cost.

You can do a search on fuel pump, fuel relay
Thing is, the Windstar OBDII system (computer) does NOT monitor fuel pressure or fuel flow, so there will be no code telling you of a fuel issue.

5803 Bluebird
07-27-2007, 06:27 PM
Thankyou, any other thoughts about this problem? The ford dealer said they have checked those things and says they are looking maybe the inginition switch or something to do with the fuel injectors. What do you or anyone else think or possibly have heard?

8950LX
07-31-2007, 05:18 PM
I'm currently experiencing the very same problem with my 2000 Windstar with 90k. It's been driving me nuts for about a week now. I think I'm going to inspect the ignition coil for cracks first.

5803 Bluebird
07-31-2007, 07:35 PM
I think I'm beyond crazy. My vehicle is still stalling even after Ford putting in a new computer(thankfully under warranty). They are now planning on putting a monitor on the van so when it stalls(while i'm driving) hopefully something will come up. The conditions my van seems to stall during are, hot, humid, in town trips and usually the air is on (99% of the time on this).

catvents
08-01-2007, 12:40 AM
Thankyou, any other thoughts about this problem? The ford dealer said they have checked those things and says they are looking maybe the inginition switch or something to do with the fuel injectors. What do you or anyone else think or possibly have heard?
I would continue to think about fuel pump and PCM relays. These relays fails
intermitently before being defect forever; and this is not something that you can "check", it is not visible. If the Ford dealer has changed them, that's OK they can look for other things but these relays are a regular issue on this forum. Very cheap to try too, less than $20.

5803 Bluebird
08-01-2007, 02:25 PM
Something wrong with the fuel pump was our first guess, getting the dealer that sold us the van and the Ford dealership to listen to us has been the biggest pain. Even thought they both say its a possibility. But because the van nor their COMPUTER won't say something is wrong and noone wants to start tearing things apart because of cost, especially if thats not the problem. But to us cost is not the biggest factor, safety is. Because one day it will stall and we could get hit! We are going back to Ford to have the monitor put on but I'am taking everyones suggestions with me so please keep them coming. Even if its the same ideas that everyone has given!

wiswind
08-01-2007, 09:01 PM
I would buy those relays and put them in.
I can understand the cost and labor for fuel pump replacement being a concern.
I remember a post or so about electrical connection(s) for the fuel pump also...but not as common as the relay.

The computer at the dealership connects to the OBDII port.....which is looking at the same sensor data that the computer in the van is looking at.
True, their computer is looking at it at more detail, but it is still the same data.
My point is that there is NO sensor on the vehicle that measures fuel pressure or fuel flow.

5803 Bluebird
08-02-2007, 06:53 AM
I'am prepared to take all the information from everyone to Ford or the car dealer I bought the van from. Everyone has been great in helping me with this problem!! Thankyou!!!

Add your comment to this topic!