Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

97 Mountaineer Flasher?

EricWolfson
07-26-2007, 06:21 PM
Hi. I have a '97 Mercury Mountaineer and recently my hazards and turn signals have been acting up. They work occasionally but most of the time do not work at all. I figure it's probably the flasher so I bought one, but I can't seem to locate it.

My manual says that it's located in the third fuse box. I found the fusebox just inside the driver's door and the one under the hood. The manual says it's somewhere on the passengerside but I can't seem to find it.

Anyone know where the flasher is located in this model?

Thanks a lot.

-Eric

shorod
07-26-2007, 09:19 PM
Welcome to the forum!

I don't have the information specific to the 1997 model year, but in 1998 the turn/hazard flasher was located in the steering column according to the factory service manual. The 1997 and 1998 are pretty darn similar, so I suspect this information is accurate.

You don't specify what the problem is you are experiencing. The multifunction switch is a rather likely suspect too for many turn signal/hazard light concerns, but since you don't mention what they are, I can't say whether you are probably on the right track here.

-Rod

EricWolfson
07-26-2007, 09:48 PM
Welcome to the forum!

I don't have the information specific to the 1997 model year, but in 1998 the turn/hazard flasher was located in the steering column according to the factory service manual. The 1997 and 1998 are pretty darn similar, so I suspect this information is accurate.

You don't specify what the problem is you are experiencing. The multifunction switch is a rather likely suspect too for many turn signal/hazard light concerns, but since you don't mention what they are, I can't say whether you are probably on the right track here.

-Rod

Whoops, sorry. The problem is that the turn signals and the hazards stopped working one day. Just out of the blue. Then later on in the night, a few hours later, they were working again. Then the next day they weren't working again.

Actually, today is a good example. I took the truck on about a 20 minute drive. The whole time the turn signals and the hazards didn't work at all. I left the truck parked for a few hours and when I got back in to head back home, they worked again but a block later they were gone again and stayed that way all the way back home.

Basically, it's like they work when they want to and that's not very often.

Thanks for the help, I really appreciate it.

-Eric

rivguy
07-26-2007, 10:13 PM
if they stop working - turn on the 4-ways - shake the knob for the 4-ways and see if they come on - normaly if the multifunciton switch is at fault this will get em going. (since all flashers use same switches will also test normal flashers)

EricWolfson
07-26-2007, 10:35 PM
if they stop working - turn on the 4-ways - shake the knob for the 4-ways and see if they come on - normaly if the multifunciton switch is at fault this will get em going. (since all flashers use same switches will also test normal flashers)

I tried that, actually. I tried turning the hazards on and off, turning the signal switch back and forth, etc. No response.

But thanks anyway, I appreciate it.

rivguy
07-26-2007, 10:51 PM
next would be the indicator flasher

Add your comment to this topic!