Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

1993 Rodeo CODES..........

kirk obst
07-26-2007, 11:48 AM
Hello! The engine light is blinking on and off intermittently as of last nite. Not sure what is up but wam going to buy a code reader from Harbor at lunchtime today. Question is where can I find the codes? (I have a Haynes manhual at home but cannot remember if it lists codes).

I replaced the timeing belt in January after I bought it with 119K just as a good measure it was a pain in the butt. Now we have 129K........could not find anything on this forum that was specific so I wondered if there is any common issues to check for. I understand that in 1993 Isuzu used their own motor instead of the GM motor.is there any truth to that?

Thanks!

Kirk

Ramblin Fever
07-26-2007, 01:29 PM
Yes, the 93 Rodeo IS the Isuzu 3.2L sohc V6 engine.

The 91-92 Rodeo's were the 3.1L GM engine

Flashing CEL normally means a misfire, how old are your spark plugs?? I'm running NGK's in mine, and it's running great.

trooperbc
07-26-2007, 07:00 PM
Hello! The engine light is blinking on and off intermittently as of last nite. Not sure what is up but wam going to buy a code reader from Harbor at lunchtime today. Question is where can I find the codes? (I have a Haynes manhual at home but cannot remember if it lists codes).

I replaced the timeing belt in January after I bought it with 119K just as a good measure it was a pain in the butt. Now we have 129K........could not find anything on this forum that was specific so I wondered if there is any common issues to check for. I understand that in 1993 Isuzu used their own motor instead of the GM motor.is there any truth to that?

Thanks!

Kirksince you have a 1993 rodeo you don't need a code reader. in fact, the OBDII code readers for 1996 and on vehicles won't work for you.
all you have to do is jumper the CEL connector and count the flashes of the check engine light.

for example the first 3 flashes will be 12, and it gives you that number by flashing like this: flash pause flash pause flash longer pause flash flash pause flash flash pause flash flash longer pause.

the first set of flashes is one1 (repeated 3 times). the second set of flashes is two2 (repeated threee times) and that = twelve12. which is simply the number the computer uses to tell you that the CEL diagnostics are working.
next will come the codes if any are set. and finally the 12 will repeat again.

no codes set, then 12 repeats till you are tired of counting.

now all you need is someone to tell you where that connector is on your 1993 rodeo (it's different on my trooper).

//bc

kirk obst
07-27-2007, 08:56 AM
Thanks a bunch! I found that out last nite looking in my Haynes manual the jumper description. I could not find the connector though under the dash but quit looking due to the moonsoons we are geeting!

I replaced the plugs with champions in January when I bought it about 10K miles ago but it doesn't sound like it has a miss....?

I drove it last nite to put fuel in (since the wife left it on E!) and the CEL didn't come on until 1 was 5 miles down the road. it will go off at idle but when under power it comes back on. At 65mph I put it in nuetral and coasted until light went out and then carefully reved the engine still in nuetral and it came back on again.....not sure if that rules out the tranny throwing the code or not.

On a happy note.....I found a post and thread exchange from Mhlehmen (I think and trooper bc) detailing a squeal problem he had that was so precise to another problem I had that I thought for a second maybe I posted it one time while under the influence!!! I will be replacing my hi dollar fan hub in the future also!!!

The Chosen One
07-30-2007, 02:15 AM
True it may not sound like it has a miss but you cant always go by sound. Its usually recommended to use NGK's in asian motors.

A small possibility is the coil pack going bad............... Might wanna start with the plugs n move there next.

Add your comment to this topic!