Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

What was your FIRST model kit?

integra818
11-09-2002, 01:51 AM
My first model kit was a stingray concept car, It was purple, I don't know what the heck happened to it, BUT my brother has HIS first model car, it's right here on his shelf, the body hand-painted and all, the thing is so heavy, all crazy glue and testors brush paint...

Toksin
11-09-2002, 01:56 AM
My first ever kit was a Bulldog or something fighter plane from WW2, i was like 8, my dad helped me build it, was unpainted...

My first car kit was a Burago snapkit 1938 Citroen 15cv TA when I was about 10...

Built aircraft until very recently when I completed a Revell BMW NAZCA M12 (I never heard of it either til I built it)...Came together okay, some ill fitting parts, still consider myself a bit of a beginner with cars so I didn't work on making the parts fit right...painted it without primer :P....after that I built my Skyline...now I'm working on an Evo6...

So yeah...many planes...few cars...although that will change :)

Ssom
11-09-2002, 02:05 AM
Originally posted by Toksin
My first ever kit was a Bulldog or something fighter plane from WW2, i was like 8, my dad helped me build it, was unpainted...

My first car kit was a Burago snapkit 1938 Citroen 15cv TA when I was about 10...

Built aircraft until very recently when I completed a Revell BMW NAZCA M12 (I never heard of it either til I built it)...Came together okay, some ill fitting parts, still consider myself a bit of a beginner with cars so I didn't work on making the parts fit right...painted it without primer :P....after that I built my Skyline...now I'm working on an Evo6...

So yeah...many planes...few cars...although that will change :)

Where in Lower Hutt are you????? I'm origionally from Eastbourne :D

As for my first kit- my NSX- which is somewhere on AF......And I have just finished my second kit a TS-8 Milano Red Honda Jazz which is done exactly the same as my step-sisters new Jazz.- It's a beauty :D

And I did do an R32 GTR in between the NSX and Jazz- but I used Revell glue that really fucked it up ending in me breaking the engine in frustration- and now I have to find a new kit :D

Next project is a 1969 Mini Cooper 1275 S from Tamiya

primera man
11-09-2002, 02:06 AM
This is the first i ever built around 25 years ago.(Not mine...just found the pic on the net)
The one i built was smashed by low-lifes that broke into our house and smashed or stole my collection

http://files.automotiveforums.com/uploads/299562tijuana.jpg

Ssom
11-09-2002, 02:15 AM
Originally posted by primera man
This is the first i ever built around 25 years ago.(Not mine...just found the pic on the net)
The one i built was smashed by low-lifes that broke into our house and smashed or stole my collection

http://files.automotiveforums.com/uploads/299562tijuana.jpg

fucking low-life scum :mad: Being a recent victim of vandalism I know how it feels....:(

how long ago was that PMan (The break in)

Toksin
11-09-2002, 02:15 AM
Originally posted by Moss1O6GTi

Where in Lower Hutt are you????? I'm origionally from Eastbourne :D

I'm living in Woburn at the moment, got a lot of friends from Eastbourne though :)

Purpura Delujo
11-09-2002, 02:30 AM
A Revell Viper GTS, I smashed it up eventually i was going to rebuild it but i lost half the parts moving to a new house so I just salvaged the motor and wheels. Had the motor in a Impala for a bit then chopped the impala to get ideas for a lowrider project.

M4tt83
11-09-2002, 04:48 AM
This was my first kit. I still have it in my cupboard but it's not very well finished. Badly rippled black gloss paint, bright gloss orange seats :confused: etc.

Bimmerkid
11-09-2002, 06:46 AM
Mine was some sort of Saturn 5 rocket..It was pretty good, actaually.

My first car, however, was a Tamiya BMW Z3 Roadster. I handpainted the body (I really like that color..Wish I had an airbrush.), didn't know about the wonders of spray paint then. I tried not to paint all the parts I could, so most of my suspension and interior is a satin black, the color it was molded in.

Gainsbourg
11-09-2002, 07:08 AM
My first ever scale model was a Douglas DC-3 from the USAF.
I’ve built it when I was 8 years old, I guess.
That means …… hummmmmm …… 23 years ago … :rolleyes:

RyanGiorgio
11-09-2002, 07:44 AM
Mine was a revell snaptite Viper GTS my first Level 2 was a Pontiac GTO Judge. And my first japanese model was by Aoshima, and it was the Wings West Accord Wagon.

TheSyndicate
11-09-2002, 07:51 AM
I swear the first kit I ever got was like a chevy s-10 model..or was it a viper... I would usually get them for christmas, and I remember trying to build the viper with regular school glue, then I broke a part in half and decided to throw away the kit because I thought it wouldn't work. ARGH!

daggerlee
11-09-2002, 08:09 AM
My first was a Tamiya 300ZX. I originally sprayed it yellow but really screwed the body up trying to do the black rubber moldings (by hand with a large brush :bloated: )

So I stripped it..and repainted it clear blue over chrome.

http://www.automotiveforums.com/scalemodeling/daggerlee/300zx2.jpg

I feel like we're talking about girlfriends, or first-time sex experiences. :hehe:

AccordTypeR
11-09-2002, 08:42 AM
My first model kit was when i was aroung 5 yrs. old.

It was some kind of really small robot.

It costs about 50cents:D

My first car model was when i was in 3rd grade.

It's Hyundai Pony, it's gone when i was 5th grade:(

ales
11-09-2002, 09:27 AM
Here she is!

http://files.automotiveforums.com/uploads/991802F310B.jpg

Revell Ferrari (what else!!!!) F310b.

Spraypainting??? Polishing??? Decal solution??? Reference photos??? Masking tape??? What are all of those for? :confused:

:p

supratuner
11-09-2002, 10:17 AM
my first kit was a ford f150 lightning i later tore it apart to use the side skirts on an acura integra
this is the latest kit ive ever built

Midnight Racer
11-09-2002, 11:05 AM
My first model was a Revell Porsche.I think it was an 87 Porsche.

patate
11-09-2002, 11:35 AM
my very first model was a mercury cougar build with my dad help

first self build kit was a mustang gt
she as later turn into a vert

Hawk312
11-09-2002, 11:54 AM
My very first one was a 1/32 scale pepsi challenger funny car that my mom bought for me while we were in the grocery store. :D I was only about 6, and that one doesnt count because it was just a snap kit and I`m not sure I ever completed it.
It all started for me with a 1982 Trans Am Monogram kit. I bought it for less than $5, and it was a brand new kit at the time. I was in second grade. Haven`t stopped since.

Guido
11-11-2002, 08:40 AM
My first scale model was a Westland Lynx helicopter in 1/72 scale from Matchbox, that's 25 years ago.

After a modeling break of a couple of years I restarted but then in cars.
My first car scale model was the Tamiya Rothmans Porsche 956. that's around 17 years ago.

corsaman
11-11-2002, 09:11 AM
My first car was a hasewaga toyota celica monte carlo...
It was a very hard kit for a beginer, but it was a joy to make.

Joe Ortiz
11-11-2002, 09:56 AM
About 35 years ago:eek: , my first model was a Bubble Top Corvette, if memory serves me right:rolleyes:

Honoturtle
11-13-2002, 12:43 AM
My first kit was this,
http://www.modelexpress.net/images/AMT_8232.jpg
A 69' Olds 4-4-2 W-30, built by my dad with little assistance from me when I was about 4-5 yrs old!

My first actual kit, by me and my bro was this,
http://www.modelexpress.net/images/AMT_6111.jpg
A 69' GTX, I remember putting it together with Elmers glue and scotch taped the windows in with no paint, at all, built when I was in 4th grade!

magicmanjk808
11-13-2002, 01:17 AM
i'm not too sure what my first kit was. it was either a pontiac banshee or a ford ranger. both have similar deaths......new years eve and fourth of july.

Daryl
11-13-2002, 08:55 AM
The first kit i built as a kid was a corvette z06 in a small scale... maybe 1/32 or something. It was really bad.. body not even painted. Shoddy decals. My first real kit was a tamiya D2 CLK GTR with working lights. Turned out pretty well for an ambitious first project.

MaukaRunner
11-13-2002, 11:07 AM
Can't remember, must be getting old. The first kit I can remember is older than most of you. It was a 71 MPC Plymouth Duster. The thing I remember is it had a "Sharktooth" grille.

I was a BIG Mopar fan back when I was young, Chevys when I could drive, now I am Toyota all the way. Go Figure???

Deep down there is still a place in my heart for a 440 Challenger that Duster with a Sharktooth grille.

Jay!
11-13-2002, 08:14 PM
Somewhere back in the haze I remember both a snap-tite space shuttle kit and a Hardeez-sponsored NASCAR. Never finished the NASCAR, and the shuttle was poop, IIRC...

UKSupraboy
11-13-2002, 08:33 PM
I remember having planes hanging in my room as a kid (and my uncle shooting concord with an air rifle!).

My first car was a '57 Chevy Nomad that I hand painted in metallic green. But, the roof was so badly painted that it ended up as a roadster/pickup thing.

Dave ESPI
11-14-2002, 01:13 AM
I got to build the USS New Jersy battle ship and the USS Forestal 1/ 750th scale when I was 6. Then My dad and I did a pirate ship. It rocks. We have it still to this day.... weathered the hell out of it and did muslin sails with starch. it looks awesome... I wonder where it is hidden at....... perhaps fer Xmas Ill make an acrylic display case... 20 years after the fact of preventing dust.... :freak1:

FIRST CAR... Testors Porsche 959
I had wanted the Porsche whale tail targa turbo 911 slope nose, but it was sold out. I never got one. :sob:
not that its relevent, but this is what I do now.... I Just finished this piece. 1/8th scale resin. Vampira.

RMGILBE
04-12-2005, 02:57 AM
My first model car i beleve was Dale earnhardt #3 monte carlo... I still have it's fairly old.

generationx
04-12-2005, 06:43 AM
First EVER kit was a free tiny scale model of an oil platform that fell out of a cereal box when I was about 6! Then I went on to the usual Airfix 1/72 Spitfire. The first car was a Matchbox 1/32 Porsche 917/10, the first 1/24 was the Tamiya VW Golf Grp2 Kamei racer in the late 70s I think.

Ah, happy memories - the first one was about 30 years ago...

alakai
04-12-2005, 06:47 AM
Wow, I believe my first kit was an MPC '82 Corvette street machine. I remember it was a larger scale, maybe 1/20 and came with optional widebody fender flares, side pipes, and your standard big engine sticking out of the hood. That one is long since gone :frown:

RallyRaider
04-12-2005, 07:06 AM
And another one. :mad:

Please refer to the AF Community Guidelines (http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/guidelines.html), specificly:

POSTING IN CLOSED OR OUTDATED THREADS:
Please avoid posting or voting in outdated threads. It merely clutters up the message board and makes it more difficult for fellow members to sort through the vast amount of information contained on the boards. If you have new and important information to add regarding a past discussion, feel free to start a new thread.

Add your comment to this topic!