Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Engine Prices

TEGNSTANG
11-08-2002, 10:53 PM
Alright guys(and to be pc, chicks)
I have a 94 gsr, but i also have a 90 lx with the nasty 2.3l efi. Non turbo too. I hate it. No power. So my question is.......??? Can anyone give me a reasonable price for buyin a 5.0 302. I wanna swap and a fellow racin buddy said he'd give me one for 5 grand. I laughed very hard and then said no. So if anyone has any idea's... they would be greatly apretiated.

:alien:

SkylineUSA
11-10-2002, 02:39 AM
I can find a wrecked 5.0, for about $500-800. I really would not do the swap, but rather sell the 2.3, take that money and add it to the money for the swap and go car shopping. For 5k you can get a pretty deceint 5.0.

TcobrA
11-11-2002, 09:57 AM
Originally posted by TEGNSTANG
Alright guys(and to be pc, chicks)
I have a 94 gsr, but i also have a 90 lx with the nasty 2.3l efi. Non turbo too. I hate it. No power. So my question is.......??? Can anyone give me a reasonable price for buyin a 5.0 302. I wanna swap and a fellow racin buddy said he'd give me one for 5 grand. I laughed very hard and then said no. So if anyone has any idea's... they would be greatly apretiated.

:alien:
If you drop a 5.0 in a 4-banger body you will HAVE TO upgrade EVERYTHIG else -- VERY EXPENSIVE -- VERY SILLY

TEGNSTANG
11-28-2002, 05:18 PM
WHat do you mean everything???? Tranny, engine, ??? maybe radiatior. I already have the tranny. Some guy sold one to me for 200 bucks. Just need the 302. I was thinkin actually goin for somethin bigger. Like a 341 or bigger. hehe could be fun.

94svt5.0
11-28-2002, 05:42 PM
All you need is engine and entire drivetrain as well as all the electronics. You would need to obtain an entire donor car to make sure you get all the parts. It is done quite often, since you can pick up the 4 bangers so cheap.

HiFlow5 0
11-29-2002, 05:20 PM
Originally posted by SkylineUSA
I can find a wrecked 5.0, for about $500-800. I really would not do the swap, but rather sell the 2.3, take that money and add it to the money for the swap and go car shopping. For 5k you can get a pretty deceint 5.0.

You can do the swap and people do it all the time, but you do need a lot more then just the motor. More like motor, trans, fuel lines, rear end, all suspension (unless you like a rough ride and body roll), motor mounts, brakes, computer, wiring..... I could go on and on, but i'll stop.

It would be more economical to buy a 5 liter to start, unless you are looking for a project. Then i can see how it would be a good idea. You will be spending a lot more money making a 4cyl into a 5.0 then you might imigine.

Good luck on whatever you choose.

TcobrA
12-02-2002, 07:24 AM
Important:
the 2.3 is an all-around lighter built car. The suspension and brakes are BARELY adequate for 4 banger service- dangerous for anything bigger -- START with a 5.0 CAR -- you will be sorry -- EXPERIENCED HERE!!!

dollarauto
12-31-2002, 11:32 PM
for 5k youd be much better off getting a 5.0 and you can get a pretty good one for that.

ill post any 5.0's that come my way in the auctions

StangMan
01-06-2003, 06:37 AM
To answer your question, you should be able to get a complete engine for under a $1k. All the poeple I know that have used the 4 cyl Mustang have turned it into a weekend racer. Meaning they didn't put in a 302, they used a 351 w, and they replaced everything else with performance parts.
You might be able to get a junked GT or LX 5.0 and swap all usuable parts. By the time you were done you would be an expert on Mustangs. :eshooter:

Add your comment to this topic!