Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

broken window

AutostradaVR4
07-24-2007, 04:07 PM
hey guys. i started noticing my window making funny popping sounds while i was putting it up a few days ago. i finally got around to pulling the trim off today any found that the white housing that the cable runs through was snapped right at the pulley. So i have 2 questions really.

1. is the housing supposed to run horizontally off the pully? or up towards the top of the door?

2. what is the piece called that i will need to replace and how much of a pain in the ass will it be?

i hate seeming so helpless...but my maunal CD is packed away somewhere and i cant find it lol.

AutostradaVR4
07-24-2007, 06:38 PM
ok, found my CD, so i know its the window regulator assembly and what its supposed to look like.

so...anyone ever replaced one? how much of a bi-otch was it?

more importantly, anyone have one they wanna give me a good deal on??? :icon16:

jason_bet
07-24-2007, 07:22 PM
I bet i can get you a good price I will pm you tomorrow with prices.. are you looking used or new.. factory or aftermarket?

AutostradaVR4
07-24-2007, 09:21 PM
sweet man that would be much appreciated.

dont really care new, used, OEM, AM... as long as it works, fits, and will last long enough so that ill never have to do it again haha. since the factory one lasted 100kmi, maybe ill stick with that...but definitely let me know what other options are available if you dont mind.

thanks man.

Linebckr49
07-25-2007, 12:48 PM
yup, those plastic pulleys are the one thing that breaks on the window regulators. when you get the replacement regulator, i recommend you reinforce it like shown here (http://www.clan-davidson.com/jd/vr4/garage/windowreg/). i haven't read through that page in a while, but the title says "repair", so you may even be able to repair your broken pulley.

Bootsgamer
07-25-2007, 01:05 PM
so...anyone ever replaced one? how much of a bi-otch was it?

Replacing anything is a bi-otch. Why cant things just not brake??:licka:

Linebckr49
07-25-2007, 01:12 PM
actually, replacing the regulator is pretty simple. i don't remember if its easier to do it with the window up or down, but it should be obvious. so remove door panel, un-bolt window from regulator, remove regulator, REINFORCE/REPAIR new or old regulator.

AutostradaVR4
07-25-2007, 03:12 PM
werd. mine was broke prettymuch exactly like that one, but after an hour and a half of trying to manuever it back in place, now the cable is all frayed and shyt...so im just gonna go for the replace. im definitely gonna try and reinforce it though.

well, at least its stuck in the up position...having to open my door at the toll booth every day sux ass though. i used to always make fun of those people in their POS cars...

...F***ing karma...:banghead:

found a guy on 3si parting his car who will do $80 shipped. would really prefer new, but depending on how much jason can get a new one for i may just have to go used.
also found a guy selling a new one on ebay for 190 + shipping...seems steep...

dhrubio
07-25-2007, 10:49 PM
yea, not to take business away from jason but im pretty sure a used one will be a lot cheaper (my passenger side is going out, so ive also been looking...it makes a clicking noise going up, but i havent taken it apart yet to try to fix it)

jason_bet
07-25-2007, 11:38 PM
no worries, used would be cheaper (most of the time, however, I can get some stuff for killer prices), But it is also used so who is to guarantee it will work? Just a thought.. but then again.. I have never gotten a used part from someone that hasn't worked

dhrubio
07-26-2007, 01:00 AM
lets see the prices you can get, maybe ill get one myself :)

Linebckr49
07-26-2007, 11:55 AM
yes, a used one will be cheaper, but since these parts will all fail after a certain time (plastic pulley is a huge design flaw, b/c plastic parts all fatigue over time and break...should have been a metal pulley), its worth it to spend a little extra and get a brand new one and reinforce it. if you get a used one, who knows when it will break.

AutostradaVR4
07-26-2007, 03:29 PM
^exactly my thoughs. thats why im holding off to see what kinda deal jason can get. of course used will be cheaper, but who's to say its not 1 roll-up away from snapping?

jason_bet
07-26-2007, 05:28 PM
blink did you get my PM? I sent it yesterday

sLADe781
07-28-2007, 02:50 PM
My sister's '97 Eclipse GS has a similar problem. :( The window would roll up but it's positioned awkwardly where there's a gap when the window is supposedly closed. I took of the door panel earlier today and it seems that there's some type of bolt missing where the plastic stuff was supposed to be at to hold the window in place. I don't think the whole system is broken because the window can still move up and down but there's definitely that bolt piece missing.

So yeah, I may have to order some stuff from you too jason...

AutostradaVR4
07-28-2007, 04:54 PM
yup, just got it and hit you back.

jason_bet
07-28-2007, 05:42 PM
My sister's '97 Eclipse GS has a similar problem. :( The window would roll up but it's positioned awkwardly where there's a gap when the window is supposedly closed. I took of the door panel earlier today and it seems that there's some type of bolt missing where the plastic stuff was supposed to be at to hold the window in place. I don't think the whole system is broken because the window can still move up and down but there's definitely that bolt piece missing.

So yeah, I may have to order some stuff from you too jason...

Yeah bro just let me know I will take care of you.

sLADe781
07-28-2007, 07:20 PM
Jason, you wouldn't happen to have a picture of a window system of an Eclipse, would you? Because I don't exactly see how I can take off the window regulator system without taking off the whole inside piece for the door!?!

Add your comment to this topic!