Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Engine shudder / hesitation

marknuck311
07-24-2007, 12:25 PM
Hey all,
I've been browsing these forums for awhile now, as my '01 Windstar has been giving me all sorts of grief.
First, the infamous 0174 code, so I replaced the isolator bolts and the plenum gaskets.
No more CEL.

Then it developed an annoying 'shudder' or 'hesitation' (still, with no CEL) - so I did the following:
- replaced PCV
- changed spark plugs and wires
- cleaned throttle body
- cleaned MAF
- cleaned IAC
- checked all plugs and hoses
- tried a new DPFE sensor
- dumped Seafoam in the engine and tank.

Still hesitating, so I replace the igniton coil - TA DA!!! Sucess!!!
(not cheap by the way, about $150 CDN)

This is an FYI for anyone that is experiencing these symptons, to check this out initially, as my friends Windstar was doing the exact same thing and it ended up being the ignition coil as well!
Mine had 3 fine cracks on the underside of it, don't know if this had anything to do with its failure - but anyways; good luck.

Mark

96wWindstar180K
07-26-2007, 06:01 PM
marknuck311
Did your hesitation happen all the time? When it was cold? When it was hot? Do you remeber at about what rpm it would happen at? Glad it was fixed.

marknuck311
07-27-2007, 07:42 AM
Hey 96Windstar,
no, it didn't happen all the time (although at first it seemed like it!).
It basically only happened under load, so when accelerating from a stop or if you were going up an incline in the road.
This shudder was actually the engine misfiring, hence the bad coil - although I did replace the sparkplugs and wires first, just in case the problem was there.

Good luck, hope you get yours fixed.

mark

wiswind
07-27-2007, 06:17 PM
Those cracks were cracks in the epoxy body.....that also serves as an electrical insulator between the voltage parts......
Being on the bottom......there is no way you could have inspected it without removing it......and my philosopy.....more so the older the vehicle......might as well put in a new coil if you are going to remove the old one to look at it.

96wWindstar180K
07-27-2007, 10:17 PM
marknuck311
Did you notice it more when it was hot or more under load?

marknuck311
07-28-2007, 08:59 AM
marknuck311
Did you notice it more when it was hot or more under load?

See my post above wiswind's - mine was only happening under load (which was the misfiring occuring).
It was shuddering from the moment you started it up.

96wWindstar180K
07-30-2007, 04:59 PM
marknuck311
How did you know it was missing if no CEL? Just the fact it was running rough at idle and hesitating or bucking when it was in higher rpm. How long was it going on for before you changed the coil? Its strange no cel.

marknuck311
07-31-2007, 09:06 AM
I had a mechanic friend sit in it, and right when he started it and put it in drive, his first reaction was "it's misfiring".
He said something like that doesn't necessarily have to trigger the CEL.

It was bucking/shuddering for about a week or so that it was acting up.
It's been driving great since then.

Here's a small tip: get a coil from Ford - TREAT IT LIKE A NEWBORN BABY! - take the old one one out, then just plug the sparkplug wires and connector in, start up the van and if it's running good, you've solved your problem but if it's not, just put it back in the box and return it.

Good luck, hopefully you get it figured out.

96wWindstar180K
07-31-2007, 06:07 PM
marknuck311
Thanks for the responce. I dont mind even putting a new one in because the van has 190,000 miles on it. Everything is old. I just have been replacing alot of parts lately (TPS,TRS, Flex Pipe, Window motor, Plus all the parts for gasket change, tires. So the coil will be next if I dont figure it out. Thanks for the help.

marknuck311
08-01-2007, 07:48 AM
No worries, let me know if that cured it.
Hopefully it does.

gedney
08-01-2007, 07:30 PM
This is so weird... I did the isolator bolt/plenum deal less than 2,000 miles ago on my 2000 Windstar (104,000 miles) and just today the shudder started. My first inclination was that the transmission was "hunting" but the more I drove it the more I realized it was an misfire under a upon accelerating from a dead stop or pulling a low speed hill in 4th or OD. I'm pulling the coil when I get home and look.

marknuck311
08-02-2007, 07:50 AM
Yep, that's what happened to mine - did the 0174 fix (isolator bolts and plenum gaskets) and then it started mis-firing shortly thereafter.
Good luck.

Add your comment to this topic!