Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Worn Timing Chain

bbeberness
07-24-2007, 11:48 AM
And I thought that with a fairly new motor that the MBZ would be trouble free. Anyway, after sitting for a few days and I start the motor it sounds like a thrashing machine. The noise goes away in just a couple of seconds. Timing chain or lifters? Anyone out there with ideas? 1984 380sl, with about 75,000 miles on a rebuilt motor.

:banghead:

Thanks,

Ben

trazique
09-12-2007, 07:56 PM
if the sound is at the front of the engine then its highly possible its the chain i think that car has solid lifters, only hydraulic lifters would make that kinda of sound for a couple of secs then stops when the oil pressure is up...

frustrated101
02-16-2008, 01:06 PM
Those older SL have been known for the timing chain at around 60,000 miles should be replaced. the first thing you have to do is see if the chain modification was dun, the older 380 SL's came with a single roller chain, and there was a Mercedes modification to replace it with a double roller chain.
Because the single chains where braking and causing a major failer with the motors. just make sure you have a double chain on there before doing any thing.

Add your comment to this topic!