2001 Kia Sportage oil filter leaking

ruyam29
07-23-2007, 01:47 PM
I have a 2001 Kia Sportage that oil is spewing out of the oil filter seal. I took it to the mechanic and he explained that the oil pump is bad, which could not be the case because the oil is streaming from oil filter when starting the engine and that could mean that the pump is working, correct?

A couple of my buddies think that is may be a cracked seal somewhere in the engine.

ANY BODY HAVING THE SAME ISSUE? PLEASE HELP?

MeettheCreeper
07-27-2007, 05:45 PM
I have a 2001 Kia Sportage that oil is spewing out of the oil filter seal. I took it to the mechanic and he explained that the oil pump is bad, which could not be the case because the oil is streaming from oil filter when starting the engine and that could mean that the pump is working, correct?

A couple of my buddies think that is may be a cracked seal somewhere in the engine.

ANY BODY HAVING THE SAME ISSUE? PLEASE HELP?

Oil pump is on the front of the engine. The oil filter adapter housing is leaking or I should say that the gasket has failed. There are 2 styles. One has an aluminum adapter and the other has the aluminum adapter and another cooling device with small 10mm hoses going to it. The aluminum adapter has 2 oring gaskets to change and the cooling device, as far as I know, must be changed as a unit. I do not believe the gasket is available for that unit.

The bolts that hold the adapter to the block are 14mm heads and can be difficult to remove. I find that if that is the case I unblot the Ac compressor to give myself more room to work.

Add your comment to this topic!