Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Grounding the head unit.

Polygon
07-23-2007, 12:39 PM
I want to get some opinions on this. I have an 89' LeBaron GTC as a project car. Some of you may know that Chrysler uses ground straps on thier stock head units. There is no question that I replaced it with a 10ga Stinger cable.

However, I am getting ready to swap the entire system in my Stealth. I called around to find a local place to make a ground cable. They all act as if I'm stupid and tell me that it grounds in the harness. I'm not a moron, I know that. I just thought it was a good idea to ground with some bigger and better cable than the harness provides.

Am I wrong? If not, do you guys know of any good places online to buy a pre-made cable. I'm look for 10ga and no longer than 1 1/2 feet in length.

Thanks,
Clint

PlayStation3
07-23-2007, 01:04 PM
all you need to do is find bare metal and for head unit you don't need 10 guage wire 14 wire is what i used. if you have a system all the headunit needs power for is to read the cd and normal opreration it does not need it for the amp inside of it.

AWP9521
07-23-2007, 09:13 PM
I always used the factory grounding strap fastened to the back of the head unit (some units have a predrilled hole with a matching screw, others have a clip with a stud and nut) and also fastened the black wires from the head unit to the same location and never had a problem at all, one of those redundant kind of things.

The reason being is the shield on the Antenna connection is directly coupled to the case of the head unit, that gives an extra ground connection for the antenna system in case the ground at the vehicle body at the antenna end is lost.

PaulD
07-24-2007, 06:07 PM
I never use the factory harness ground, I always run a 14-16 ga black wire to some metal in the dash cavity.

Add your comment to this topic!