Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

box modifying

PlayStation3
07-23-2007, 11:46 AM
hi, i have a question about turning a sealed box into a ported box without making a new box and here is my idea. i cut a in the to match the opening on the "attachment" ( i am thinking of doing a fiberglass pocket type of thing) put some sealent around the edge then screw it in. would that work. i am trying not to spend too much money because i am about half way in terms of buying all my stuff for my upgraded system. also are there any benefits of using ports instead of a slot because i am thinking of doing like 5 1" size ports ( i will have to find out again how much total port area i need.) also i need to add .5 f^3 to the box. kinda of like this.

http://www.freewebtown.com/PlayStation3/untitled.JPG

dave92cherokee
07-24-2007, 07:02 PM
If you're planing on doing all that to your current box then you might as well build a new box the way you want it and use slot ports so they can be tuned correctly for the sub and box size. If you use alot of small port tubes and then just cut out part of the back and add on half a cubic foot it will prolly distort it as the sound wouldn't have a smooth surface to resonate off of the back it would have all the angles and then all the small port tubes. You say you are half way to buying all your upgrade equipment then it'd be best to build a box with a slot port that is attached from the inside so when you upgrade you can change out the slot size if needed to retune it.

dbfreak147.5
07-28-2007, 10:16 AM
with 1" pipe you would have so much turbulence(port noise) the subs would hate it, and you would hate the sound. The least i would consider is 3" but, i'm a slot port kinda guy.

PaulD
07-28-2007, 12:04 PM
good grief, with a 1" port (diameter) the air will come out like a hair dryer - pulsed to the music

Add your comment to this topic!