Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Full Metal Body

vrmlbasic
07-22-2007, 08:46 PM
Now that I am beginning the long and rewarding process of ressurecting my 92 LeSabre after some idiot on a bluetooth headset took her from me, I was wondering if there were any metal front fenders that I could take from another ride and mount with relative ease. The plastic fenders felt crappy since the day I inherited my ride, and the collision literally obliterated the front passenger one; the sissy plastic cracked and shattered, confirming my fears of it's "quality".

I have seen the true character of "high stress impact resistant abs plastic fender technology", and I no longer want anything to do with it. Is there another model I can scrap parts from?

ChemMan
07-22-2007, 08:57 PM
Plastic?!:screwy: Where???:rofl:

Loekee75
07-22-2007, 11:37 PM
Sorry vrmlbasic, your '92 was the first year the LeSabre went to that big bubbly body style, along with the plastic fenders. I've never seen any aftermarket metal replacements, so unfortunantly you may have no choice but to settle for the plastic!

vrmlbasic
07-23-2007, 03:08 PM
I don't see what's so funny about plastic, other than the fact that it ALWAYS breaks, whether it be the plastic coolant piece under the alternator, or the whole freaking fender. Come on, being made of real-man "fuel inefficient" heavy metal is what's supposed to separate my noble 92 lesabre from the pos civics and other rides on the road.

At least the rear end was metal-laden, as my ride passively destroyed the 2007 dodge calibur (ew) which wanted so desperately to be a Ford Probe, and rear ended me to fulfill that dream....

You're sure that there is no compatable part from another model of car? I'm open to anything at this point, as I have to replace them anyhow, and the thought of spending money to rebuy a part that failed just doesn't sit well with me. There's nothing from the GM Blood Brotherhood which can help me out? No chevys/pontiacs/oldsmobiles or whatever??

I love my ride's sweet "bubble body" curves, but if they have to be made of brittle plastic, they should go. Function over form.

If there is no other option, then I'll be stuck paying 25-40 bucks to replace the fender, but I'm still holding out hope that there is a metallic replacement.

A picture is worth a thousand words, and though I have a thousand expletives to describe GM's useage of plastic, I'll just put this shot up instead.

Plastic Sucks. (http://www.esnips.com/nsdoc/9c73cc9c-1c49-4f96-bf13-b8f4c35630a2)
http://www.esnips.com/nsdoc/9c73cc9c-1c49-4f96-bf13-b8f4c35630a2

GringoPete
07-23-2007, 07:42 PM
The Fenders are made of plastic?????

spinne1
07-23-2007, 08:32 PM
Now that I am beginning the long and rewarding process of ressurecting my 92 LeSabre after some idiot on a bluetooth headset took her from me, I was wondering if there were any metal front fenders that I could take from another ride and mount with relative ease. The plastic fenders felt crappy since the day I inherited my ride, and the collision literally obliterated the front passenger one; the sissy plastic cracked and shattered, confirming my fears of it's "quality".

I have seen the true character of "high stress impact resistant abs plastic fender technology", and I no longer want anything to do with it. Is there another model I can scrap parts from?

I'm sure no other car has fenders that would fit and look anywhere near okay. Besides, your argument holds no water. Why? Whether you replace your fenders with original 92 fenders, or some heavy metal fenders, your car looks the same as long as you don't wreck it and both types are basically ruined in a wreck. So what is the point?

You need originals? Go to Pullapart.com. (or your local equivalent) You wreck your fender, you get another, bada boom, bada bing.

Why would you want some Lincoln Town Car misfit fender on your car?

vrmlbasic
07-23-2007, 09:56 PM
Your point about even metal fenders getting destroyed in a crash is true; I doubt you could straighten out a metal fender after an accident like mine, and even if you could, it would never be the same.

The fenders being the only exterior plastic components just feels cheap though; why skimp on an essential part? The fenders feel wussy even before they broke, you could feel them cave in if you leaned on them. That's stark contrast to the fully metallic hood (which was owned in the wreck, proving your point about metal dying in a crash :( ), though I'd still like my ride to not cave in under pressure.

Personal preference there, but I would rather have my vintage bubble plastic fenders than an inferior lincoln/mercury product.

So, it's off to the local You Pick it You Pull it junkyard, with hopes that my Sport Trac (explorer) can help me resurrect my original ride.

'97ventureowner
07-23-2007, 11:23 PM
You will continue to see more body parts made of different plastics and fiberglass as automakers continue to try to reduce weight wherever they can on a vehicle. If the new CAFE requirements take effect in the future, requiring more MPGs from vehicles, you can expect even more ways that plastics will find their ways into other arts of the car.Another good thing about plastic or fiberglass fenders, hoods and other body parts is a reduction in rust. Especially in my part of the country where they use a large amount of road salt in the winter on the roads.

Add your comment to this topic!