How tall is too tall? (Meaning, how tall can you be to be too tall for a sportbike?)

RSX
11-07-2002, 11:31 PM
Hey. I am pretty young right now (But I think like an adult:sun: ) and I have taken an extremely large interest in motorcycles. My problem is that I have noticed that I'm really tall (Taller than most of the people at my school) and I was thinking (As one does)(.......Ive always wanted to say that:D ) and I thought about my future and what complications would come with getting a motorcycle, and one of my thoughts was, "What if I'm too tall for a sportbike?" I'm a little above 5 feet 8 inches. Can someone tell me how tall is too tall for the average sportbike. I know that I have a lot more growing to go, but I hope I can fit a sportbike. Is there a wide variety of sizes on sportbikes? I know that there is a special position needed to ride a sportbike, and I don't want to look like I'm crushing the bike when I ride it:( Thaaaaaanx!!!

YellowMaranello
11-08-2002, 02:40 AM
A little above 5'8" is tall for you where you live? I should move down there so I can feel tall too. And I don't know about too tall for a bike (look at pocketbikes :p), but there's definately a too small. One of the funniest thing's I have ever seen was a little guy, who couln't have been more then 5'6" on a big Harley. I simply couldn't stop laughing.

speediva
11-08-2002, 10:15 AM
Oh, honey... I'm 20, and though I've pretty much stopped growing, I'm a VERY solid 5'9" and maybe more.

My dad is 6'4.5" and he rode comfortably on his BMW F650GS Dakar... Not to mention he's disabled with Fibromyalgia and other diseases I can't even spell right. The Interceptor he has is a VERY powerful sport tourer (aka, with one year of timid riding I still feel intimidated by it) but my point about this bike is that it is a bit more uncomfortable for him to ride.

It's all in how your body can handle staying in one position for a length of time. Also, how strong your back muscles and shoulder muscles are...

The key is to buy something you can easily control at a stop (seat height comes into play here) and something that you feel generally comfortable sitting on. The only way to know, is to go to stores and sit on bikes... and I mean a lot of bikes. For your height and age and experience, I'd recommend the Kawasaki Ninja 250. It has the looks of a nice sportbike, but it's nice and tame for those "newb" times when you crank on the throttle by accident... And there are those times when your hand slips or whatever...

R1-rider
11-08-2002, 11:34 AM
Wait until you are 18 to get a motorcycle, and even then start out small.

RSX
11-08-2002, 05:24 PM
Thanx for the info everybody. I'm going to try to do some more research and find some pictures to show you what I'm talking about.

stratispho
11-14-2002, 06:21 PM
I'm 6'4" and until recently rode a 99 honda cbr600 f4 everywhere and it fit me perfect. If you read the specs on most sportbikes they are designed with the average man's specs... 5'9" so don't worry if you're 5'8" you'll fit fine. and before you get your first bike make sure it's used cuz you're more then likely goin to lay it down and try to get something smaller then 600 cc's

RSX
11-14-2002, 11:33 PM
I'm 6'4" and until recently rode a 99 honda cbr600 f4 everywhere and it fit me perfect. If you read the specs on most sportbikes they are designed with the average man's specs... 5'9" so don't worry if you're 5'8" you'll fit fine. and before you get your first bike make sure it's used cuz you're more then likely goin to lay it down and try to get something smaller then 600 cc's

Alright. Thanx for the info, man. I guess only time will tell how tall I get and if it's too tall.

R1-rider
11-15-2002, 12:28 AM
How old are you RSX, don't think you ever mentioned it.

RSX
11-16-2002, 12:35 AM
O.k. Sorry to say this, but I'm really embarassed to say my age, but if I must, I'm..........14:( I hope I don't lose any respect or anything. I mean, I'm just a kid who has a passion for vehicles. Like I said before (Or might not have. I don't have a good memory), I may just be a kid, but I think like an adult when it comes to vehicles.

R1-rider
11-16-2002, 02:57 AM
No need to be embaressed about your age, we were all 14 once too, and I am sure we all remember our ambitions at that age. You will find that alot of motorcycle riders are giving people, and will not judge you on your age, but on your positive output on life. Now, since you are 14, driving a motorcycle is still 2 years away, so you have time to get some practice going, I would suggest trying to find some mom & pop store and start working under the table to make some money, then AFTER your parents consent buy a 125cc dirtbike. Dirtbikes and streetbikes are much different granted, but atleast you will have a very good feel on how to drive a motorcycle setup (left hand clutch, left foot gear... etc).

If you really do think like and adult, you will have no problem starting out on an older bike, nothing bigger then 600cc. I can't recommend the 1980 Suzuki GS550 enough, it was my first bike, and was the absolute perfect bike to start on. The riding position was perfect, the engine was very easy to operate on (another big part of owning a motorcycle is learning your mechanics, start learning from your dad/neighbors/friends), and you can find alot of these bikes at your local bike junk yard. After you ride on a small bike for ATLEAST 6 months, you will start to get a feel for the road and will be ready to do a step up. This time, do not go anything over 750cc, think more in the lines of a Honda F3600 (NOTHING FASTER). You will not be ready to handle a very serious sportsbike until you are atleast 18, and this is not just a generalization on my part, but me not wanting you to become a human crayon. If you would like more suggestions or have any more questions please feel free to ask, most riders will give you all the information you desire.

RSX
11-16-2002, 02:25 PM
Man! No words can describe how appreciative I am of your mature and understanding response! :D I actually once thought about getting a dirtbike, but I thought there would be too many limitations and rules with it (You know, only on dirt, and it has to be dirt that dirtbikers can use in order for you to ride on it.), but if it helps me learn, I'm wiling to, and I already ABSOLUTELY can't wait to get on something, so I guess a dirtbike's o.k., since it's the only thing I can ride at my age. And I WILL follow your plan.

-The Stig-
11-16-2002, 04:26 PM
Jeez, Only 14 and you're at 5'8''. Im 19 and i'm only 5'7"... but thats besides the point.

I agree with R1-Rider that you should start off on a dirt bike. Good way to learn. I unfortunately never had that oppotunity, I grew up listening to my grandpas stories of all these races he used to do... my mom even raced back in the 70s. But she married my dad who was a wussy and didnt like that stuff. So I never got to do that sorta fun stuff.

For your first street bike, you cant go wrong with a buell blast. 500cc Single Cylinder. Its no speed demon with just 34hp, but its light at 360lbs. You cant really get into too much trouble on one... so i think it makes a good learner.

I also took a rider-safety course before I started ridding to learn more basics. Its an idea to think about before you hop on and wheelie away.

I later graduated to a 98 Yamaha Seca II, a 600cc 4 cylinder. Which makes about 65hp. Nothing spectacular but its fun for me. Untill I can afford an R6. :D

What I wont tell you is how I high-sided my Seca and broke my shoulder in two places. You probably dont want to hear that. Hmmm... guess I just did tell you huh? Just remember that you can get hurt and you are not Valentino Rossi.

Hope you can get started though!

Just remember one thing... going into corners.. slow in fast out... *looks at broken shoulder...* yes slow in fast out.

Kennedy200
11-16-2002, 07:30 PM
Well, I'm 6'2" and 230 lbs. I have no problem fitting on most sport bikes. The exception is the R6. THat bike is too small for me. My feet hit the lowers, and I feel too cramped for it.

One of my riding buddies is 6'8" and he rides a CBR F2. He can sit on the tank and still touch the ground. :eek:

RSX
11-16-2002, 11:38 PM
Thanx guys. I'll be sure to remember the info (Especially that tip on slow on corners and fast coming out). By the way, the R6 was the motorcycle that gave me the idea about being too tall for a sportbike because I saw a picture of a grown man on it and he looked SOOOO cramped up.

speediva
11-17-2002, 12:51 AM
Originally posted by RSX
By the way, the R6 was the motorcycle that gave me the idea about being too tall for a sportbike because I saw a picture of a grown man on it and he looked SOOOO cramped up.

IMHO, I don't think I'd ever want an R6 or R1 just because they are known to be VERY touchy on the throttle, and they are probably the #1 most race-ready stock bike out there. The only rival being the 600RR once it's released... Those things have power that I don't even want to know.

Motorcycles are dangerous. I have one friend in a coma and another one who is DEAD. That's just from this year. PLEASE take it easy out there. Have fun, but know your limits, and the best way to discover them is in a rider safety course.

RSX
11-17-2002, 12:59 AM
O.k. Thanx. By the way, is the R1 the same height as the R6?

R1-rider
11-18-2002, 01:06 PM
The seat height of the R6 I think is about 1 inch higher actually, however there seems to be a little more leg room on the R1 as the pegs are in a better location.

RSX
11-18-2002, 05:13 PM
Oh, o.k. Thanx. I hope that I would be able to fit because that's, like one of my favorite motorcycles. Do you fit on yours easily?

R1-rider
11-19-2002, 12:32 AM
Yes, I am 6'1" and 190lbs and I fit on my R1 easily, my R6 is a little tight on space, but on the track where I ride it, I wouldn't want it any other way.

knutz99
04-09-2003, 02:30 PM
I just bought my first motorcycle a couple months ago. It's a '93 Yamaha XJ600 SecaII. Definitely buy something used for your first. I haven't dropped it yet, but the more you ride, the braver(stupid-er) you will get.
As far as being too small for a bike. I'm 21, and about 5' 5". I'm able to put my feet flat on the ground, when sitting on the seat of course. It feels fine to me.
The first day that I rode the bike, pretty much the entire day, I was pretty sore... my butt, shoulders, arms, neck....
I did dirt bikes and atvs before I got the motorcycle. Although, it's a big difference, it's good to put in the time on a dirt bike first. Falling in dirt or sand is a lot better than road rash. On a motorcycle, turning and stopping are the most important. On the road, you have to act like you're invisible and the people that can see you, are out to get you. In just the first month that I've been riding my 1st sportbike, I was tailed by someone goin 80mph. On another occasion, I was cut off by someone and had to stop from 45mph. The back tire locked up.
Luckily, I haven't dropped the bike.... yet.
Get a good helmet, gloves... and definitely leathers. There's some new kind of jeans that don't rip, I gotta check those out.

"Lean like you need a sponsor"

speediva
04-09-2003, 05:40 PM
Originally posted by knutz99
I just bought my first motorcycle a couple months ago. It's a '93 Yamaha XJ600 SecaII. Definitely buy something used for your first. I haven't dropped it yet, but the more you ride, the braver(stupid-er) you will get.
As far as being too small for a bike. I'm 21, and about 5' 5". I'm able to put my feet flat on the ground, when sitting on the seat of course. It feels fine to me.
The first day that I rode the bike, pretty much the entire day, I was pretty sore... my butt, shoulders, arms, neck....
I did dirt bikes and atvs before I got the motorcycle. Although, it's a big difference, it's good to put in the time on a dirt bike first. Falling in dirt or sand is a lot better than road rash. On a motorcycle, turning and stopping are the most important. On the road, you have to act like you're invisible and the people that can see you, are out to get you. In just the first month that I've been riding my 1st sportbike, I was tailed by someone goin 80mph. On another occasion, I was cut off by someone and had to stop from 45mph. The back tire locked up.
Luckily, I haven't dropped the bike.... yet.
Get a good helmet, gloves... and definitely leathers. There's some new kind of jeans that don't rip, I gotta check those out.

"Lean like you need a sponsor"

GREAT post!!! Glad to see people so level-headed out there helping give sportriders a good name!!!

The jeans *I think* you're talking about are called Draggin' Jeans. They're reinforced with "Kevlar-ish" fibres at the knees and seat for extra protection w/o the funny, bulkiness of leather pants. They're also a good bit cheaper than the leather pants you'd need (we're not talking about fashion leather here).

R1-rider
04-09-2003, 06:07 PM
Yes, another thing that I forgot to mention was the fact that when you are on the road riding, you do not exist to cagers. You will be merged into almost every day, you will have cars pull out infront of you usually once a week, you will have cars just do stupid things that literally makes you feel like they are "out to get you" like knutz said. I went for a long ride with a buddy yesterday, and on the way back a truck had dropped a big thing of fiber board, and when the truck infront of us hit it, it broke it up into chunks and flung them into the air. It is a good thing we both had helmets on, and I had my windshield on, because if not it would definetely have knocked us both off our bikes, and at 85mph, that is bad. One thing I have learned though over time, cars don't call the police if you kick off their side mirrors after they merge into you. Ofcourse alot of the older bikers will swear by size 4 ball bearings, but whatever fits your need.

Add your comment to this topic!