Our Community is 705,000 Strong. Join Us.

Oil Filler Tube Leaking

skizot722
07-21-2007, 03:31 PM
It appears that the oil filler tube (not the dipstick tube) is leaking around the base where it fits into the valve cover - this is on my 2002 LS. Is there a rubber grommet between the two pieces that prevents the oil from leaking? I took a quick look at it and saw no way of removing the tube (there are no bolts on the outside). Am I going to have to remove the driver's side valve cover? If so, does anyone have instructions on how to do this? The oil must be making its way onto the exhaust manifold because there is a slight smell of burnt oil.

On another note, when I removed the filler tube cap I noticed a small amount of steam coming from the tube (I had just gotten back from driving the car). Does this sound like it would be from blow-by, or is a little bit of steam ok? The car has a little over 21k miles on it.

Thanks!
~Scott

skizot722
07-29-2007, 10:55 AM
bump... Any ideas?

shorod
07-29-2007, 01:09 PM
Have you taken a closer look? I suspect that the tube just twists in like a oil fill cap would, and there is probably an o-ring or rubber gasket seal, but I no longer have a V8 LS to look at for reference. I checked the service manual, but it is not obvious from that how it is attached or if the valve cover has to come off to change it.

As for the steam, it sounds like this car doesn't get driven a lot. That being the case, there is a good chance there could be moisture from condensation and possibly other contaminants in the oil. As the engine gets up to temperature, it starts to boil the moisture and contaminants from the oil, causing the steam you are noticing.

I wouldn't consider it abnormal, but would suggest you watch the oil condition closely and maintain the "rough service" oil change interval. It may be worth your money to have a Used Oil Analysis (UOA) performed as well.

-Rod

skizot722
07-30-2007, 05:32 PM
After attempting to twist it several times, I'd say that it does not twist out like the oil fill cap does. I do not want to twist it any harder for fear of breaking something. So, it looks like I will have to remove the valve cover. This is pretty disappointing given that the car has hardly any miles at all :banghead:.

Should I get a valve cover gasket kit and install all new gaskets while I've got the cover off? If so, where would I find such a kit. Also, does anyone have instructions on how to remove the driver's side valve cover? From the reading I've done on this forum, it sounds like it is a major PITA.

Also, if anyone knows if the oil filler tube is removable without having to remove the valve cover please let me know!

shorod
07-30-2007, 08:21 PM
There is an updated gasket set available for your car, and I'd certainly suggest replacing the gaskets with the updated type while you have the valve cover off. Details on the updated gasket set has been posted before, so search the forum for details. I believe both the V8 set as well as the V6 set have been addressed. You'll probably want to stick with getting the updated set from the dealership.

On the V6, the bank 1 valve cover gasket is difficult, bank 2 not so much. On the V8, neither are all that difficult relatively speaking. I don't see where you mention which engine your LS has.

-Rod

skizot722
07-31-2007, 07:46 AM
Sorry, it's the V8 engine. I think I've seen previous posts where you've given people directions in PDF, or something. Do you still happen to have those?

Thanks!
~Scott

shorod
07-31-2007, 12:39 PM
I do, but I had checked it for information on the oil fill tube itself, nothing there. However, I do have it for the valve cover remove and replace. If you send me a private message with an e-mail address for you that can accept PDFs, I'll send them your way.

-Rod

Add your comment to this topic!