Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Transmission Service

Boosted50
07-21-2007, 10:09 AM
I have a 2005 Equinox LS that with about 60K on the clock, and I cannot get a straight story on when the trans fluid and filter (screen) should be changed. The closest I have come to a consistent answer is at 100K miles, but that sounds like a lot of miles to wait for this change.

Any advise would be appreciated along with experiences on this?

troy1
07-22-2007, 09:42 AM
60K is a perfect time for a service (no flush or additives) just make sure you get a high quality name brand filter & fluid. Your owners manual should have service intervals for light/medium/severe driving habits.

Oh and don't let them throw away the molded rubber reusable pan gasket!!!

RexNfx400
07-22-2007, 11:58 AM
The transmission is "fill for life" as per factory recommendations. You can have it serviced(drain/flush and refill) whenever you want. There is no provisions to stipulate a trans fluid change for warrenty purposes and such. There is a oil life monitor also. Which will trip a code when Trans fluid is close to end of life. These calculations are done by monitoring driver habits. Just like many cars do for engine oil changes. They monitor driver habits and calculate when engine oil change is nessasary. As long as it don't flat out fail :) I'm sure the special Nissan fluid for this would be no less than $15-$20 a quart. And the filter is not replaceable unless you split the transmission case in half.

Add your comment to this topic!