Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Best kit for this WRX?

Jedi801
11-07-2002, 04:23 PM
What would be the best kit to buy if I wanted to try to reproduce this WRX?
http://www.boomplustoys.net/semashow/images/semashow018.jpg

http://www.boomplustoys.net/semashow/images/semashow019.jpg
http://www.boomplustoys.net/semashow/images/semashow020.jpg

I was thinking the new Tamiya WRX STI. But it does not have a body kit.

supratuner
11-07-2002, 04:41 PM
try the tamiya WRX STi it is pretty good and looks like the one above

Jay!
11-07-2002, 04:59 PM
I agree. Deciding to use the Tamiya WRX STi is the easy part.

The hard parts will be:
Finding Prodrive wheels
Doing all the carbon fiber decalling
Finding/making white decals

:eek:

Nice car though! Worth building if you can pull it off!

Jedi801
11-07-2002, 05:03 PM
actually the decals are light grey. the flash on the camera makes em look white.

freakray
11-07-2002, 05:27 PM
If you can, you could combine the Subaru 2001 WRC Impreza and the STi WRX to get the whole deal.
The WRC will give you the hood intake, the lights and possibly even the wheels , and the STi will give you the interior and some other stuff.

Just a thought....

Ray

Jay!
11-07-2002, 05:36 PM
Originally posted by Jedi801
actually the decals are light grey. the flash on the camera makes em look white. Still, what I mean is, you'll have to cusom-design the decals, and your printer can't print white ink. (Unless you have an ALPS printer...) So, you'll probably have to get blank white decal sheet and print the black negative space around the logos. Then, if you're lucky, the black on the decal will blend with the black on the car and it will all polish out okay...

supratuner
11-08-2002, 04:08 PM
this is my tamiya wrx sti

Jedi801
11-11-2002, 10:49 AM
Originally posted by jay@af
Still, what I mean is, you'll have to cusom-design the decals, and your printer can't print white ink. (Unless you have an ALPS printer...) So, you'll probably have to get blank white decal sheet and print the black negative space around the logos. Then, if you're lucky, the black on the decal will blend with the black on the car and it will all polish out okay...

OK I gotcha. I think my printer can print grey though. Never really tried it. But if it doesen't then it will be hard to do.

Jay!
11-11-2002, 06:01 PM
Originally posted by Jedi801
OK I gotcha. I think my printer can print grey though. Never really tried it. But if it doesen't then it will be hard to do. I don't mean to be a jerk about this, saying it over and over, but it's a tricky idea to grasp... ;)

Your printer can print grey on white paper, right? And grey is a mix of black & white... Let's say this grey is 10% black and 90% white, for example. But, your printer only adds the 10% black to the white paper to get the right shade. All the white is already there.

Now, if you're printing on 'clear paper' (think decal film) your printer will only print the 10% black part, but with no white backing, you'll have translucent black. If you then put the 10% black over 100% black (i.e. the car body) you'll just have 100% black (not 110% :p).

So, you'll have to use white decal paper, but then you'll have to deal with the complex outlines, like I described before...

HTH! :D

Jedi801
11-12-2002, 09:01 AM
That was the plan. =]

[S]ky|ine
11-12-2002, 09:32 AM
Hmm.... Thats a gd plan... btw, have you started your WRX body???:confused: :confused: :confused:

Jedi801
11-12-2002, 11:39 AM
I haven't started it yet. I just got a Sparco catalog and that car was in it and I thought it would be cool to make.

freakray
11-12-2002, 12:25 PM
Just a last minute thought, if you wanted to try using the rally kit body and wheels to get the hood intake and similar wheels, I was thinking you could order just those parts from Tamiya, instead of having to get the whole kit.
Otherwise, I think that will make a nice model, I look forward to seeing it.

Ray

Jedi801
11-13-2002, 10:37 PM
Hmmm.. Here is the pic from my Sparco Catalog. It has a different hood that would be easier if I just use the WRX STI kit. also has different wheels and front bumper.

http://users.smartfella.com/nick/sparcowrx.jpg

freakray
11-14-2002, 06:39 AM
Nick,
Now that is a totally different car.....
That is a C-West body kit(I read stickers too) so you should be able to find plenty of reference photos for it, and as you said, that one should be a lot easier than the original one you posted photos of.
I like th C/F hood too, are you going to replicate that?
Looks like you got a nice car to build there.

Ray

Jedi801
11-15-2002, 09:05 AM
Yeah I plan on doing the carbon fiber hood. It may be a little tricky to get the decal to conform around the hood scoop. Since I have never made a body kit the front bumper will be tricky too. I may have to either leave that stock or make one like the first car, it looks a little easier.

Add your comment to this topic!