Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

How's the Liberty at Rock-Hoppin?

The Fast Forester
07-21-2007, 12:11 AM
I bought my wife an '05 Liberty a while ago. We haven't had the chance to get it up on some of the high Rocky Mountain 4-wheel drive roads we like to hit each summer. Now's our chance, we are taking it up to the mountains next week for some 4-wheeling. Anybody out there take their Libertys on some high mountain roads, steep, narrow, and rocky, and how did it perform? 4-Low or will 4-High suffice for most of these roads? I know it says "Trail Rated" on it, but it just doesn't seem as "tough" as the 4-Runner I used to take on these trails. Thanks for any opinions, advice or experiences you've had.

The Fast Forester
07-27-2007, 10:07 PM
OK, I'll answer some of my own questions now that we are back from our trip. I was right, my 1998 4-Runner I used to own was much better on the 4-wheel roads than this Liberty. The auto transmission doesn't gear down low enough, and that goes for 4-hi, always riding the brakes going down a slope. Clearance wasn't too good either on one "moderate" road we took, bottomed out twice and had to turn around and bail out. Bottom line, I wouldn't recommend anybody taking their Liberty on moderate to difficult 4-wheel trails.

Add your comment to this topic!