Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

2002 Protege Overdrive Problems

alpajack
07-19-2007, 10:38 PM
On this protege the overdrive starts cutting in and out. this happens only at 2100 to2300 rpm. ther then that it shidts fine. Any ideas????
thanks
ALpajack

Doug Tatham
07-31-2007, 11:49 AM
Replace your transmission fuel and filter. You can get a filter and gasket set from an auto parts store for about $25 and the fluid for another $7-10. If this doesn't work, take it to a transmission shop. You may have a clogged solenoid and if it fails you can trash the whole trans. Changing the fluid will most likely take care of your problem. This is one of the most neglected maintenance tasks.

mazdatech177
07-31-2007, 06:59 PM
if its at 40-50 mph then its simply hunting for the right gear as the load conditions change... keep it out of overdrive manually until you get over 50mph if it really bothers you.

Flash75
08-01-2007, 05:04 AM
Doug, Do you just change the fluid that drains from the pan or do you use some other procedure to remove the fluid in the torque convertor? Thanks.

Clifton

Doug Tatham
08-01-2007, 04:35 PM
I've seen some transmissions that allow you to drain the torque converter, but as far as I can tell that isn't an option with the Protege. Because you can never drain all the fluid and you only replace half, you have to change it more often. I change my fluid every 20K miles and my filter every 60K. This is just my opinion. I haven't checked the service manual to see what it says. My car currently has 208K miles on it and I've never had a major problem other than routine maintenance.

Flash75
08-02-2007, 05:32 AM
Doug, Thanks. Strangely, the 2002 Protege 5 factory workshop manual doesn't suggest changing the trans-axle fluid in either of their maintenance schedules. It does tell you how to change the fluid in the trans-axle repair section. I assume what they call a strainer is the filter. I noticed the manual doesn't mention or show a gasket for the oil pan, instead they say use a light coat of silicon sealant on the pan mating surface.

Clifton

Add your comment to this topic!