Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

KC Lights - tapping into Highbeam 12V

Marcinko
07-19-2007, 01:27 PM
Hey guys!! This is on a 96' S-10 Blazer 4x4.

I have a set of 130W KC's on the roof rack and they are hooked up and run fine. The switch in the cab has three terminals, one for ground, one for load, and one for supply. Supply I managed to hook to a 12V source located literally right at the parking lamp. Bascially the KC lights will not light unless you have your parking lamps on....keeps them from accidentally being switched on and draining the battery.

Like I said, it works well and I have no issues. But I have a dream!!!

I would love to figure out how to hook the supply up to the high beams for the headlights. So basically the KCs will not come on unless the highbeams are on. I could then leave the KC switch in the cab on full time and use the turnsignal/highbeam switch to turn the on both the highbeams and KC's at the same time.

I looked on the back of the headlight to try and figure out which wire I could tap into for the highbeam and no luck. There are three terminals on the back of the lamp, one I know for sure is ground, but the other two seemed to have power to them.

So the question I am asking is this. Can anyone point me to where I could tap into the highbeam 12v for supply to the KC switch in the cab? I would like to keep it out near the light as the current hook up sits right next to it on the parking lamp.

Thanks ahead of time.:grinyes:

MT-2500
07-20-2007, 08:29 AM
I would advise not to tie into the headlights.
The headlight switches and wiring are not heavy enought to carry a extra load.
Also it may not pass a saftey inspection if they are tied into the headlight system.
I would use a switch with a indiactor light and hook the switch to a relay to power extra lights.
MT

Marcinko
07-20-2007, 11:05 AM
I currently have the relay and switch wiring harness that KC provides. Along with the fuses for the switch supply wire and relay.

Here is the schematic for the exact kit I have and I have it wired exactly as show. The exception is the supply wire running to the switch from the parking light on the right side of the truck. The switch requires a 12v source for the supply side which can be taken directly from the battery if necessary.

http://www.kchilites.com/faq/instructions/4-PoleRelayDiagram.pdf

I am not sure I follow how it would burn the wiring up....don't get me wrong, I am not being an ass, I just want to understand how the headlight is wired to accept the signal to go to high beam.

Edit-
http://www.kchilites.com/faq/instructions/White_wire_instructions.pdf

If you look at "Driving Lights" you will get the description of what I want to do.

I may have asked the question wrong, my apologies.

Here is my question in a 1996 Chevy S-10 Blazer, where is, or can you describe to me, where the high beam circuit is?
I also found this.

MT-2500
07-20-2007, 01:45 PM
I currently have the relay and switch wiring harness that KC provides. Along with the fuses for the switch supply wire and relay.

Here is the schematic for the exact kit I have and I have it wired exactly as show. The exception is the supply wire running to the switch from the parking light on the right side of the truck. The switch requires a 12v source for the supply side which can be taken directly from the battery if necessary.

http://www.kchilites.com/faq/instructions/4-PoleRelayDiagram.pdf

I am not sure I follow how it would burn the wiring up....don't get me wrong, I am not being an ass, I just want to understand how the headlight is wired to accept the signal to go to high beam.

Edit-
http://www.kchilites.com/faq/instructions/White_wire_instructions.pdf

If you look at "Driving Lights" you will get the description of what I want to do.

I may have asked the question wrong, my apologies.

Here is my question in a 1996 Chevy S-10 Blazer, where is, or can you describe to me, where the high beam circuit is?
I also found this.

Your low and high head light switch in the multifunction switch.
Which is a very light duty switch and will not stand any extra load.
It is not safe and some places illegal to tie in extra lights on the switch.

Also is the relay a ground switched relay or a hot switched relay for the KC lights?

If a ground switched relay you will need a grounded toggle switch.
MT

Marcinko
07-20-2007, 05:15 PM
Relay is grounded.

My biggest concern is safety and it sounds as if this could be a safety problem.

It is somewhat irritating that KC would suggest you could tie into the high beams on your vehicle.:banghead:

Thanks for helping me out MT...greatly appreciated!!

MT-2500
07-20-2007, 05:57 PM
Relay is grounded.

My biggest concern is safety and it sounds as if this could be a safety problem.

It is somewhat irritating that KC would suggest you could tie into the high beams on your vehicle.:banghead:

Thanks for helping me out MT...greatly appreciated!!

You are welcome.
If tied into the head lights it could overload the circuit.
And on a saftey inspection when they try bright lights and the hole place lights up .
It would not be good.:grinyes: :lol:

I would want them on a seperate switch.
If a grounded type switching relay you will need a toggle switch that will ground it to turn on relay.
There is toggle switches that have a on and off indicator on them that would work good for something like that.
Good luck.
MT

duke350
07-20-2007, 06:38 PM
If you are worried about accidentally leaving the lights on, just wire your switch through a relay switched with an aux switched line, similar to the switched power wire for your radio. The lights can only be on with the ign. on, and very little extra load since the relay switches from the aux line and gets its main power from the batt. or so.

Add your comment to this topic!