Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Thermostat

mickha2
07-18-2007, 10:49 PM
Hi everyone, can someone tel me the location, and how to change thermostat in 95 jetta 4 cyl 2.0L ? :banghead:

Doug Tatham
07-20-2007, 03:03 PM
I don't know for your year, but they are generally mounted on the outlet of the water pump. I'd recommend getting a service manual (Haynes...) from an autoparts store. It's $15 well spent.

2001jettavr6
08-12-2007, 01:53 AM
get a chilton hanyes isnt specific chiltons, but good luck i couldnt find anything for my car but at oreillys they sell online subscriptions for manuals one year subscription is 10.99 very good manual i have one

ctuagent117
08-12-2007, 10:12 PM
it's rather easy.

I can tell you the way I did it, Which is when i was changing the water pump.

Remove the alternator. (2 mounting bolts)
Remove the AC compressor (no need to remove lines, just move to the side, again, 2 monting bolts) After that has been removed, you'll see a plate behind it, it carries the tensioner for the Serpantine belt on it, so you'll need to release tension and slide the belt off. Simple.
After that, remove the 5 ( i think) bolts that hold the the plate on.

You will then have a clear view of the water pump.
The way this design works..there is a housing and the water pump is attatched to it.
If you buy just the water pump, you will need to seperate the pump from the housing (like 10 10mm bolts) and install the new pump on to the old housing.
You can also buy the Housing AND pump brand new, pre installed, but only from the dealer i believe.

The Thermostat sits in the housing. it has a cover, 2 10 mm bolts hold the cover on..there plastic, so don't torque them down too hard.
You probably don't need to do all the steps above to do the thermostat, but this is the way i did it since my water pump un expectadly took a dump on me so i had to remove it anyway. It isn't like alot of other cars where the thermostat sits up front in plain sight, it takes a little work to get to.

Really, once you move the alternator and compressor out the way, you have room to get the housing off and remove the thermostat..but once you go that far, why not remove the plate and waterpump and do the whole job the right way..

Add your comment to this topic!