Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

2001 SEL with power window issues!

Iowachic
07-18-2007, 09:35 AM
:shakehead:banghead: :runaround:
I bought my 2001 Windstar in 2005 and the passenger side window only worked a handful of times before it quit working-it won't go down from either switch. I have just never tried to figure it out or fix it since it was the passenger side and I don't use it much. Now last night my driver side window wouldn't go down and I heard a clicking sound but today it's working fine-although it paused a few seconds before actually going down. A few questions: how do I find out which fuses to check and where they are located to see if that's what's wrong? I have the Hayne's manual for it but I am not finding a diagram that tells me which one is which. Also does anyone know of any issues or some helpful things I might need to know when I start checking this out. Also do you need a special tool to get the door panels off? Thanks in advance!!

Laurie

Dekeman
07-18-2007, 04:25 PM
If you have your owner's glove-box manual, there is a grid in the back that says what numbers correspond to the map on the inside cover of the fuse block in the engine compartment.

The door panels are fairly straightforward to take off. See wiswind's (this forum's moderator) pics at http://community.webshots.com/album/201931518cScpNK; the door removal pics are on page 6. His is a '96, but ours (I have an 03) are similar. Looks like you just need a philips screwdriver and maybe a flat head to pry panels off.

garync1
07-18-2007, 04:41 PM
my 2001 passenger side window went out as well its the motor on mine and most of the time if I pull the panel off and whack the motor it will work for a while..Needless to say the motor could be rebuilt from an electric shop cheaper i would think but now there getting harder to fine in my area. Also my back window on the same side does not work as well. It needs a motor to. The back is easy to replace the front however is a pain..Yes check those relays and fuses but I am thinking on the passenger side more or less it the motor.

Dekeman
07-18-2007, 04:44 PM
In reading another window related post, the passenger window fuse could be inside the vehicle, under the driver's side dash. Check the manual. If you don't have a manual, I think that there's a post on here with a link to one in pdf format that you can download.

mnarne
07-24-2007, 10:06 PM
If you register on ford.com with your vehicle's VIN, you should be able to download the owners manual in pdf format.

jslattery_50
09-13-2007, 02:55 PM
I'm missing the fuse cover from the inside fuse box that has what all of the fuses are and what they do. Could someone tell me which fuse number is for the right hand power window?

wiswind
09-13-2007, 07:13 PM
My '96, as far as I know, never had a cover.
You will need to refer to your owner's manual.
If you don't have one, you should download it as instructed above, and print it out.
It is good to have one in the vehicle for those times that a problem may crop up while out.

As far as the windows go, I posted pictures of my motor replacement job.
Now my passenger window works sometimes......and I have also greased the slides.

One thing that I had to do was replace the track that the glass rides in......at the rearward side of the glass.
I have had to do this on BOTH the driver and passenger side doors.
The spot welds for the track broke, and the track fell into the bottom of the door.
The replacement was very easy....bolt it in and you are done.

sevenspies
09-17-2007, 02:43 PM
It seems every time i hit a bump my driver window goes off track because when i go to put it up it makes a loud noise. today i went to put up my window and it won't go up all the way. i am not sure how to take the panel off and how to get the window back on track. can anyone help me?

Add your comment to this topic!