Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Need some help with car buying please :)

pirate742
07-17-2007, 09:46 PM
Ok so, im 17, and i just got my license. My cousin has a toyota celica and im in love with it, its beautiful, and has nice gas mileage.
I have been looking for one, and i just found one, i love it.
Its a 2000 celica GT going for $5,900 with 100k miles. The miles are a lot thats for sure, but from what my cousin says, "its a toyota, it can take 300k more". The dealer provided me with a free carfax report, its in perfect condition,
I have about $2,500 right now, paycheck comes in tomorrow, ill be up to $3,100.
Im bringing my boss whos a master with words, he managed to haggle his used beamer from 28 grand, to 15g. Hopefully to get maybe maximum 1 grand off.
So, up to $3,100, the dealer is ok with monthly payments (i was really trying to avoid monthly payments, but if this car will last me for a while, its nice, it will be worth it in my opinion, but who knows thats why im posting here.)
If i dont want to make payments to the dealer, my grandparents would be willing to lend me the 2 - 3 grand to pay it off.
But what im wondering is, would this be a good pick for my first car. I like it sporty, ive checked and researched and asked and tested and many things. I think this might be it, i hope that is.
Lets have it people i appreciate all responses.

(didnt want to put any links for moderator removal, or someone else buy it :P )

sickcallawayc12
07-17-2007, 10:37 PM
welcome to AF.

Moderators only remove links that are spam/advertisements. You should post the link. No one's gonna buy it here.

I think it is a very very good first car (maybe not insurance wise though). Sporty, looks good, handles well, not too fast, and its a Toyota. I dunno if you can get that talked down. That is a pretty good deal as it is. I say take it.

pirate742
07-17-2007, 11:00 PM
Appreciate it very for the quick reply, im so anxious, first car and all. Especially a sweet one.

http://www.carfax.com/cfm/ccc_DisplayHistoryRpt.cfm?partner=ATD_W&vin=JTDDR32T7Y0026980
carfax report there, nothing to be suspicious of normal stuff.

and heres the car istelf.
http://www.autotrader.com/dealers/dda/detail.jsp?car_id=225933132&dealer_id=50787794&car_year=2000&dealership_view_name=www.amerifirstautocenter.com&result_car_id=225933132&sort_type=priceASC&cardist=25

00accord44
07-17-2007, 11:40 PM
If you've investigated insurance rates and you can handle it, then I also reccommend you go for it. The car certainly looks clean and toyotas are well built for high mileage.

pirate742
07-18-2007, 08:15 AM
hmm how do you mean, i can handle it? ive driven one before if thats what your asking.

sickcallawayc12
07-18-2007, 09:21 AM
He may have meant handling the insurance rates. That definitely won't be cheap to insure especially if you just got your license. Just take it easy on the road, don't speed or do anything stupid and it will go down some after a year or two.

pirate742
07-18-2007, 11:07 AM
oh but i just called insurance, and its pretty cheap for a my first car under a license, i got the good student junk, and no traffic violations, its down to about 3 grand / year full coverage. Shocking :O

00accord44
07-18-2007, 01:22 PM
Yeah, I was talking about the ins. 3 grand is a damn good rate for a 17 year old male with a sporty car! I remember when I first investigated insurance rates and the lowest I found was $1600 for 6mo on a family sedan :rolleyes:

pirate742
07-18-2007, 08:38 PM
Appreciate all the help people, max insurance would be like 4 grand, which isnt SO bad as well. But, ill let you guys know how it goes, i have an appointment for saturday, i work all week :(

pirate742
07-25-2007, 02:19 PM
Thanks for all the help people. guy posted an old pic of the celica, its really a lower version of it, more standard than the pics show, but i think im getting a mitsubishi lancer oz rally edition 6 grand, 65k miles, 2002. Thanks for all the help people.

pirate742
07-30-2007, 06:11 PM
Well if anyone is still willing to help :)
The celica or the lancer didnt go as planned, grandparents were supposed to give me a 0 interest loan, but it didnt work out, too many details not enough space.

So i think im going for a cheaper, bigger solution, 1999 kia sportage 2 door convertible small suvish thing.
Its cheaper than the others, 78k miles, my friends neighbor has one and says its the best thing hes ever owned. So i think ill go for this if it checks out with the mechanic and the guy hasnt sold it yet? Whaddya think?

sickcallawayc12
07-30-2007, 09:53 PM
I don't like Kias personally, let alone the sportage. How much is it? I'd just get a Wrangler if i wanted something like that.

pirate742
07-30-2007, 10:07 PM
$3900, i think its kinda cute (in a good way :P) but once again, full cash we plan to bring the price down a bit
http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/modelinfo.jsp?vehicle_number=7943&&default_sort=priceDESC&dealer_id=60733163&end_year=2008&address=33179&make2=&start_year=1999&fuel=&keywordsrep=&certified=&car_id=227144578&search_type=both&max_mileage=&body_code=0&marketZipError=false&drive=&min_price=1000&engine=&distance=25&transmission=&awsp=false&make=KIA&page_location=findacar%3A%3Aispsearchform&keywordsfyc=&sort_type=priceDESC&num_records=25&ref=srl&ref=srl&ref=srl&car_year=1999&doors=Two+Door&style_flag=1&cardist=4&max_price=4200&advanced=y&search_lang=en&model=SPORTA&color=&ref=srl#vdptop

wrangles are wayyy too expensive, already checked was prolly my first choice, really not trying to exceede 4 grand, and a car thats not older than me. hehe

sickcallawayc12
07-30-2007, 10:13 PM
Well if you like it, then go ahead. I don't like it at all. Automatic? Two wheel drive? Ugh.:shakehead I don't trust them either. Its a Korean make, like Hyundai, who I don't trust either.

pirate742
07-30-2007, 10:39 PM
4x4 only comes in stick, parents hate the fact of me driving a stick, i know i know i want one.
i dunno whats so bad about korean cars (kia / hyundai) ive never heard any complaints about them, only good stuff if any. car looks nice which is what i really want, i dont plan on 4x4ing on my first car, maybe during college when i invest in a decent 4x4.

pirate742
07-31-2007, 03:47 PM
Man i thought buying a car would be easy.
I called my mechanic, and he says dont bother getting the kia, so guess im not :P.
Reccomended montero sport, i was thinking of it, seems rather ok, gonna go hunt for a deal, what do you think of a montero sport :)

sickcallawayc12
07-31-2007, 08:07 PM
I'm not a fan of Mistus but i've been in one of those and they're okay. Kinda reminded me of my Blazer, in a good way.

pirate742
08-02-2007, 11:14 PM
So i managed to get in touch with a buddy of mine who knows a thing or two about cars. Hes reccomending me stick to acura or honda, for this price of car, (under 5 grand) thats the only thing really built well enough for the kind of mileage it has. He wants me to get a stick and is willing to teach me. I know for a fact this kid has knowledge about cars, but im still open to all opinions. Im thinking prolly, a civic, an accord, or an integra?

Btw contacted insurance, pretty weird, 1998 accord = $3400, 1997 mitsubishi eclipse convertible = $3600?
Odd eh?
Well anyway i appreciate all the help again people i dont know what to think anymore i hope this kid can help me actually close a deal.

sickcallawayc12
08-03-2007, 10:28 AM
Not really. I would think the convertible would be more than that. Add Toyota to that list too. Now you never really mentioned what you are looking for in your first vehicle (FWD, AWD, coupe, SUV, etc.) in any of your posts. Provide as many details as you can on what you want out of your first vehicle and it will be easier to recommend something you may like.

pirate742
08-03-2007, 02:06 PM
To be honest, now ill settle for anything in good condition from 95 +. Kind of want a stick now, been practicing on parents autostick car, but that doesnt really teach me about the clutch. RWD FWD AWD i dont care at this point, something nice, cheap, that will last me a long time. As i said, i have in mind interga, or civic, or accord for now. Thanks!

sickcallawayc12
08-03-2007, 02:42 PM
Definitely get yourself an Accord, an EX coupe or sedan will have the most options. The most popular car in America for several years and for good reason.

pirate742
08-03-2007, 03:59 PM
Will do, also, for example how long can it take to not master, but drive a stick really well? I know relatively how it works and what to do, just gotta practice on an actual stick.

pirate742
08-03-2007, 06:42 PM
Does it have to be an EX model? Those seem to be more expensive :( lol
Although i have seemed to like the accord ex v6 coupe 1998. I love the back most of all, the red stripe intrigues me :P

Bleh mom is really worried what do you guys think of a honda with 110k miles, it seems like a lot, but thats why its a honda. Of course it also required on how the previous owner took care of the car. But if it was good, and had 110k miles it should be fine no?

oedipussy
08-03-2007, 08:15 PM
110K is nothing in today's world. Almost any car can handle much more than that if properly maintained.

The thing about cars is that there's so many moving parts, they wear out, and so by nature eventually EVERY car is going to break down. It doesn't matter who makes it. It's unavoidable, but not unfixable. You could buy a 1908 Model T with 500K miles on it, replace the parts that have worn out, and it'd basically be like having a brand new car. In that case, having 500K miles on it wouldn't mean a damn thing...

'97ventureowner
08-03-2007, 08:45 PM
Definitely get yourself an Accord, an EX coupe or sedan will have the most options. The most popular car in America for several years and for good reason.
Actually the "most popular" car in America is the Toyota Camry, and has been for several years. The sales leader overall is a truck, a Ford F150, but when you're talking about cars, it's the Camry.

pirate742
08-03-2007, 09:06 PM
Appreciate the feedback ppl now i have some hard evidence to prove to my rents :)

sickcallawayc12
08-03-2007, 09:10 PM
Okay, well, I think we all can agree that the Honda Accord is still a very popular car.:)

The stick is really easy. God bless you for wanting to learn. It should be a requirement to learn prior to getting a license IMO. Of course practice makes perfect. The only real hard part when learning stick is going from a dead stop. You get that down and you should be okay. Shifting while driving isn't that bad. Also, the V6 is automatic only, so getting a stick means you get the 2.2 inline 4. EX is the top of the line model. There is also a lesser LX model as well as a base DX model. I dunno if the DX ever got discontinued but not that many were ordered overall.

pirate742
08-03-2007, 10:04 PM
http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/img_popup.jsp?car_id=212538297Well ill post whatever happens, checking autotrader / craigslist at the moment, nothing yet but ill look :)
Went to check out 2 accords today, one had a terrible interior and just disregarded it. The second seemed so so, but dont know how the engine is.
My grandparents are trying to convince me to get the lancer oz rally which i was looking at earlier (after the celica) and they said they would be willing to give me the difference of the cost, and i pay them back whenevrer and however much i can at a time. So i think i can do that, you guys think its ok?
http://tinyurl.com/34rgum[/URL]
Clean carfax report as well. I just dont know, i didnt want to spend so much, but i guess if it will be a good car for a long time, i can suck up the courage to do it.
Edit: wow they upped the price to 7 grand, i gotta ask them whats up. Still im open to opionions.
Edit Edit!: Might get a stick celica, if i can negotiate down a bit.
[url]http://tinyurl.com/3xs6wy (http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?car_id=225305003&dealer_id=100011472&car_year=2002&model=LANCERMITS&num_records=25&make2=&start_year=1981&keywordsfyc=&keywordsrep=&engine=&certified=&body_code=0&fuel=&awsp=false&search_type=both&distance=25&marketZipError=false&search_lang=en&make=MIT&color=&page_location=findacar%3A%3Aispsearchform&min_price=&drive=&default_sort=priceDESC&max_mileage=&style_flag=1&sort_type=priceDESC&address=33179&advanced=&end_year=2008&doors=&transmission=&max_price=6000&cardist=4)
Edit Edit Edit!!!: That celica had a junk title, so much for that.

Super Edit: Hows about an eclipse, from 1995 - 2002 ? A friend of mine mentioned that they are manufactured by dodge and to stay away from them, but i dunno, ive seen many ppl happy with them. Good, bad?
Thanks!

00accord44
08-05-2007, 03:04 PM
Eclipses are headaches waiting to happen, beware :nono: The reason the 97 eclipse carries a higher insurance tag than the accord is because its a 'sports car' and a convertible which insurers look at as a red flag for fast driving and accidents.

sickcallawayc12
08-05-2007, 03:53 PM
Mitsubishis aren't all that great overall. They got good looks, but reliablility isn't on par with other Japanese makes. I hear that gas mileage for the lancer isn't as great as other 4 banger FWDs and I also hear they have tranny issues. But if its low miles, you will have financial help, and you promise to stay on top of maintenence, then its not a bad deal. However, I would just find a good Accord.

pirate742
08-05-2007, 07:37 PM
Im looking im looking! I may have a deal for a nice civic, 2003, 30k miles 7 grand, i dunno though i still love the celica :P. Ill stay away from mitsubishi thanks.
Was just about to buy this one
http://fortlauderdale.craigslist.org/car/386058926.html
But when dad saw it was a stick, he flipped out, said he wouldnt pay for my insurance So i gotta get an auto :(. At least untill i hit college.
Thanks again people, im keeping an eye out for accords, but honestly i would die for a 2000 +celica.

Please someone manage convince my mother to at least let me LOOK at 100k mile accords!

sickcallawayc12
08-05-2007, 07:51 PM
I'm sorry for going off topic, but why the hell do parents flip out over the idea of their teenage kids driving a stick? They would be in more control of the car, forces them to concentrate on driving, and its one less hand for them to use to text their buddy on where the party is at. Anyone a parent? Help me out here.

pirate742
08-05-2007, 08:01 PM
Volkswagon Cabrio? Good bad, i kinda like it, its cute. 1998
Reliable? I know that volkswagons have a reputation for being strong, but this a good car engine wise? Thanks people for all the help (if anyone needs a carfax run ill be glad to help =D)

Or Nissan Xterra?

00accord44
08-05-2007, 08:46 PM
Maintenance on a VW is far from cute. I don't know why your parents would be against you driving stick. My mom loved the idea once she realized that meant 75% of my friends wouldn't be able to borrow my car and potentially wreck it. Its a pain in the ass to have everyone ask to teach you to drive stick though... especially when they think you'll be allowing your car and transmission to be abused while they dick around missing and slamming gears.

pirate742
08-05-2007, 08:48 PM
Thanks again for that important peice of info :)
But eh, ill regret for the rest of my life not getting that celica for sure.

Wisgolfer
08-05-2007, 08:56 PM
In the early years, "Hyundai" was easily translated into "piece of sh*t". Kia meant "Worse than Yugo"
Of late, while their quality has improved, I still wouldn't buy one....

pirate742
08-05-2007, 08:58 PM
So what about an xterra? Nissan, jap car, big car, 2000? Eh? Thanks!

sickcallawayc12
08-05-2007, 10:32 PM
If a person seriously tries to learn, there should be no reason why they need to be "retaught" how. I really don't understand how driving a stick can be difficult or easy to forget.

Anyway......

Do not get Volkswagen. Generally, they aren't that great.

I like the Xterra, but do you really want an SUV? You're gonna hate paying gas for that thing, guaranteed. My Blazer is rated the same and I use my Blazer every day, on road and off-road and my gas bill is 200+ bucks a month.

00accord44
08-05-2007, 10:37 PM
If a person seriously tries to learn, there should be no reason why they need to be "retaught" how. I really don't understand how driving a stick can be difficult or easy to forget.

Sorry, meant to just type "teach" not "rteach". Driving stick is like riding a bike, once you learn you never forget. On the other hand, each clutch and transmission is different so each new car is like learning all over again [/words of wisdom] :sunglasse

'97ventureowner
08-05-2007, 10:57 PM
I'm sorry for going off topic, but why the hell do parents flip out over the idea of their teenage kids driving a stick? They would be in more control of the car, forces them to concentrate on driving, and its one less hand for them to use to text their buddy on where the party is at. Anyone a parent? Help me out here.
I'm a parent, although my kids aren't of driving age yet. But if they were looking into a car and it was a manual, I wouldn't "flip out" over their decision. I think some parents tend to equate a stick shift with high performance or a sports car and they're afraid of what could happen with that type of car in the hands of an inexperienced driver. Another reason could be for lack of a better term, "jealousy".Many parents grew up in an age where most vehicles were automatic transmissions. Many maybe never learned to drive a stick, so there's that air of uncertainty and lack of knowledge about them. They are probably afraid that their child may have great difficulty in learning to drive a manual, and in the process incur hefty repair bills, or some may even be afraid that their kid will know more about driving a stick than they ever did.

pirate742
08-05-2007, 11:57 PM
My parents came from colombia and israel, they both grew up with only stick. The only valid point my dad has given me is that a manual has a higer chance of breaking (which i dont think is that valid) (like you said ventureowner). But a manual is cheaper to maintain, whereas a new clutch can cost $800. To fix an automatic can cost double that. Its a sportscar, but my mom knows i dont drive fast, i drive her car everywhere, perfect driving record, nothing. Mom loves the celica as a matter of fact.
Your right about the xterra, not the best mileage, but hell i just dont know anymore, any accords i find are either too high in mileage (150k +) or out of my budget, i swear that celica was just perfect, ill see if i can convince dad to let me. But tell me, what are the serious chances of breaking the clutch in a stick car for a novice manual driver? Dad is stubborn as a rock, and he will keep this grudge untill hes 105 and once the clutch breaks hell tell me I TOLD YOU NOT TO GET A MANUAL and i know it will be coming. But hell i will regret not getting this car i know for a fact. $6500 for an 83,000 mile 2000 toyota celica gts with all sorts of mods and upgrades, sheesh i hate being broke, id buy it in a heartbeat if i had cash for insurance. Once i buy this car ill have to pay back a 2000-2500 loan to grandparents, and i dunno how i can pay insurance during that time, after that, no problem.

sickcallawayc12
08-06-2007, 06:39 AM
My parents came from colombia and israel, they both grew up with only stick. The only valid point my dad has given me is that a manual has a higer chance of breaking (which i dont think is that valid) (like you said ventureowner). But a manual is cheaper to maintain, whereas a new clutch can cost $800. To fix an automatic can cost double that. Its a sportscar, but my mom knows i dont drive fast, i drive her car everywhere, perfect driving record, nothing. Mom loves the celica as a matter of fact.
Your right about the xterra, not the best mileage, but hell i just dont know anymore, any accords i find are either too high in mileage (150k +) or out of my budget, i swear that celica was just perfect, ill see if i can convince dad to let me. But tell me, what are the serious chances of breaking the clutch in a stick car for a novice manual driver? Dad is stubborn as a rock, and he will keep this grudge untill hes 105 and once the clutch breaks hell tell me I TOLD YOU NOT TO GET A MANUAL and i know it will be coming. But hell i will regret not getting this car i know for a fact. $6500 for an 83,000 mile 2000 toyota celica gts with all sorts of mods and upgrades, sheesh i hate being broke, id buy it in a heartbeat if i had cash for insurance. Once i buy this car ill have to pay back a 2000-2500 loan to grandparents, and i dunno how i can pay insurance during that time, after that, no problem.
As long as you don't ride the clutch a whole lot when learning, then it should last for quite a while. However replacing the clutch is far cheaper than replacing the tranny. As for cost, that really depends on the vehicle. I've seen clutch replacement go for as low as $550. When you drive a stick, you don't let off the clutch too early, but you don't want to stay on it long at all either. After driving for a few days you should be able to figure out the "medium". I think its a lot harder to break a manual tranny than an automatic, personally, just because of the availability of a clutch. I also think a manual will last longer just because its more difficult to break, but both types will last a long time when used with care and proper maintenence.

BTW, getting a modded vehicle generally isn't a good idea.

pirate742
08-06-2007, 08:50 AM
Actually i dont honestly know if engine was modded. What i was referring to, hood, interior, crap like that. My mistake for using the wrong word. From the description he doesnt mention any engine mods. So i cant be sure, bleh ill post later after i speak to rents.

00accord44
08-06-2007, 02:33 PM
A clutch is as durable as you allow it to be. Much like everything else on a car, it will break down faster with user abuse. Like stated before, riding the clutch, constant clutch popping, etc will take its toll on the clutch and all the related transmission components. The more you drive stick, the more you should be able to tell when you're straining your car/transmission.

Tell the rents that maintenance on manual transmission is easier/cheaper because tranny problems can be attributed to one component whereas auto tranny is generally all or nothing for replacement.

pirate742
08-06-2007, 08:33 PM
Thanx for all the supportiveness of getting a stick, but dad just wont have it. So i guess im looking for an automatic, anyone selling a celica automat? :)

pirate742
08-07-2007, 07:28 PM
http://fortlauderdale.craigslist.org/car/391563016.html

150k miles, $5,500 i think i can get it for $5000, but mom refuses to go over 100k miles, toyota celica 2000, shouldnt be a problem 150k miles if mechanic approves its in good condition.?

00accord44
08-07-2007, 07:59 PM
I'm leary of any car ads without pics. 150k is pushing the boundaries of "usedness" imo but toyotas are certainly strong. Thats a lot of miles if its primarily city driving but if she teaches in Miami and had to drive 400-500 highway miles a week then thats a different story. Seller says there was a recent tune-up but you should definitely find out what has been replaced since she's owned it and how many miles are on those parts.

pirate742
08-08-2007, 10:18 AM
Eh i actually ment to delete that post i forgot about it, my mistake i forgot about it. I gave it up. I found a 2000 celica with 70k miles, $5600
http://miami.craigslist.org/car/391865432.html

Appreciate the responses though people <3

pirate742
08-08-2007, 11:08 PM
I THINK THIS HORRIBLE EXPERIENCE IS FINALLY OVER
I went to check it out today with a buddy, the guy is a mechanic, it was his wifes, took care of it well. Buddy of mine came with me checked it out, sounded well, drove nice, just one thing the guy told us, and my buddy mentioned, front brake pads need to be replaced, which hes doing tomorrow morning. We agreed at $5500 w/ brakes. Badass price anyway i was willing to pay his price. KBB lists it at $7940
Tomorrow its mine! Muahahah! Tomorrow morning gotta contact insurance, add this car to my dad, me second driver, ditch work early, meet my grandparents and head to the dudes house, get a new licence plate, transfer ownership, and I HAVE A CELICA wewt, thanks for everything peps! Ill post pictures :D

00accord44
08-09-2007, 09:32 AM
:thumbsup:

pirate742
08-09-2007, 07:29 PM
Proud owner of a 2000 celica! :D
A few cosmetic problems (fix the bass on the stero, bottom left light (i think foglight) doesnt work, wireing for the sunroof is a bit jumpy, and gotta get myself a new alarm thats for sure ( didnt come with one)) And the hood has a patch of paint missing. But other than that, engine is in pristine condition, got a friend to check it out. So here are the pics i promised :D

http://img390.imageshack.us/img390/6466/dscf1740rd1.th.jpg (http://img390.imageshack.us/my.php?image=dscf1740rd1.jpg) http://img390.imageshack.us/img390/6364/dscf1741vf5.th.jpg (http://img390.imageshack.us/my.php?image=dscf1741vf5.jpg) http://img390.imageshack.us/img390/7120/dscf1742sy1.th.jpg (http://img390.imageshack.us/my.php?image=dscf1742sy1.jpg) http://img390.imageshack.us/img390/7784/dscf1743id8.th.jpg (http://img390.imageshack.us/my.php?image=dscf1743id8.jpg)

Add your comment to this topic!