Our Community is 705,000 Strong. Join Us.

Please Help Engine Code:p1299(lincoln Lsc)

fuentesp
07-17-2007, 06:50 PM
I TOOK MY LS TO HAVE THE A/C FIXED SINCE I WAS TOLD IT WAS AN ELECTRICAL PROBLEM. AFTER IT WAS FIXED I DROVE OFF AND THE A/C WAS WORKING FINE, A COUPLE OF BLOCKS LATER ME ENGINE LIGHT TURNED ON AND THE CAR WAS OVERHEATING IT WAS ON H. I PULLED OVER LET IT COOL OFF. WHEN I TURNED IT BACK ON THE LIGHT WAS STILL ON BUT THE CAR WAS NOT OVER HEATING ANYMORE MY A/C WAS BLOWING HALF COLD/HALF HOT AIR. I TOOK IT TO ADVANCE AUTO PARTS AND GOT CODE CHECK AND IT READ P1299- MANFACURER CONTRL.-FUEL AIR METERING. WHAT CAN I DO AND WHAT DOES THAT MEAN. WAS IT MY AC THAT CAUSED THE PROBLEM?_______________________________PLEASE HELP________________:banghead:

shorod
07-17-2007, 10:52 PM
Welcome to the forum!

I'm glad that you got the full code because the database that Advance Auto Parts is using is inaccurate. According to the factory service manual, a code P1299 indicates "Cylinder Head Over Temperature Protection Active." This code makes a lot more sense for the symptoms you describe. As the engine detects an overheat condition, it will disable a few of the cylinders from firing and instead use them as heat pumps. Additionally, it will deactivate some unnecessary accessories (such as the A/C) to prevent additional load on the engine, explaining the lack of cold air from the vents.

You'll want to start by making sure that the coolant level is adequate, the condition is good, and the pressure cap is working properly. If those easy items check out, then you'll need to inspect for leaks, restrictions, air pockets, or faulty water pumps.

-Rod

fuentesp
07-19-2007, 05:30 PM
I Had The Engine Checked And The Radiator Hose Was Leaking They Also Had To Replace The Heater Control Valve. After Evrything Was Done I Turned On The Vehicle Let It Ran For A While. Turned The A/c On And It Was Not Blowing Cold One Of The Ports Was Blowing Hot The Other Partially Cold I Dont Know What To Do I Cant Get The Ac To Work. I Had Two Mechanics Look At it Already And Said They Had Fixed It. The First One Just Added Freon But I Believe He Didn't Bother To Really Check It Because A Few Days Later It Was Blowing Hot. The Second Time I Took It To An Electrician And Told Me He Fixed It. He Said The Dash Was Reading The Wrong Code Making It Go Crazy And The Air To Go Haywire. He Said He Also Found A Port That Wasn't Properly Sealed And Could Have Caused The Problem. He sealed it and the Ac Was Working Fine For About And Hour Until The Ls Overheated Now That It's Fix The Ac Is Acting Up Again , Any Sugestions?

shorod
07-21-2007, 09:47 AM
I'd suggest you search this forum for the procedure on pulling codes from the HVAC system. The HVAC controller may recognize an issue with the servos for blend doors, etc. and store that code. There is a sequence of buttons you can press to get the HVAC display to show the codes.

-Rod

DazeyD143
06-26-2008, 03:42 PM
We are needing a little help with this same problem. (2000 ls v6) We stopped to get something to eat, and when we came out to the car, there was antifreeze all over the ground. We added some water into the reservoir and then tried to drive to the gas station. Before getting to the station, the car lost power and overheated with the needle all the way at H. We were able to pull into the station without power. We let the car cool down and added 1/2 gal water into the reservoir. We were able to make it the rest of the way home 10 miles but not sure what we need to do to now. Engine light on and same code- P1299 Cylinder overtemp protection active. What is a good way to diagnose the problem? We are not sure where the radiator cap is at or what we should be looking for. Where do we start?

shorod
06-26-2008, 09:15 PM
You need to start by determining where the leak is coming from. Without being able to see the car, that's about as detailed as any of us will be able to get.

Check the hoses, check the belt to make sure the waterpump is spinning, check the hydraulic fluid for the radiator cooling fan, etc. You may need to pressurize the system to determine where the leak is at using a cooling system pressure tester. Sears sells these, along with some other stores. Oddly, the chain stores don't tend to have these for sale or rent, at least not around here (Iowa).

-Rod

Add your comment to this topic!