Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Mirror problems

msdz
07-17-2007, 02:15 PM
While driving down the road the other day, I noticed my driver side mirror had some looseness in the bottom of it. So I tore it off and noticed there are 2 springs that help hold the mirror tight against the door. 1 of the springs had rusted off(the bottom one) and the pin that the spring connects to. I am having extreme difficulty trying to find a replacement spring, everyone keeps saying buy a new mirror but my mirror is fine just needs this spring and would be the same as new.
My question is does anyone have a spare mirror laying around to get this spring so I could get it off them? Maybe even the whole mirror if need be. For a '94 JGC Limited.
I do not know why someone doesn't sell repair kits for the mirrors instead of always needing to buy a complete mirror, never know it may be all a lot of people need to have done. Hate to buy a new mirror then need to go get it repainted also just to match the whole Jeep. A lot of money thrown away for something so small and easy to replace.

Oh, I used a 16 penny nail to replace the pin after I sawed off the head of it.

legalfee
07-17-2007, 03:31 PM
Just get one from a junkyard...

msdz
07-18-2007, 01:18 PM
Junkyard is actually pretty far from me, closest that I know of is about 100 miles, by the time I drive there I would have as much invested as I would in S/H charges. But I do think I am going to do that Friday or Saturday.
Another reason I want to fix my own mirror is just the fact I was told "It can't be done, you have to replace the whole mirror", my father-in-law said that and I love proving him wrong, lol.

legalfee
07-18-2007, 01:22 PM
Get one from the junkyard and tell him you fixed it. He'll never know the difference. SJ

JeepForever
07-18-2007, 03:14 PM
You can buy online from junk yards from places like www.carparts.com. I have the same exact issue with my drivers side mirror on my '94 JGC (lower pin and spring rusted off). The ironic thing is that it broke while flexing it back to spray some WD-40 on it - so it wouldn't rust. Oops - too late. The mirrors look like they're about $80 and up at junk yards (online), so I don't want to buy one either.

How did you replace the pin? I could probably find a new spring at a hardware store and rig it to fit if I can replace the pin. Please guide me in how you fixed it with a 16 penny nail.

msdz
07-19-2007, 11:41 AM
16 penny nail fit right in the holders the pin sits in, I just sawed the head off and slide it right in place from the bottom side I think it was(a little hole for it to slide up through). Nothing to it but I checked all hardware stores in my location and turned up nothing that would even come close to working. Thing of it is, with most JGC Limited's that I have seen they all have painted mirrors, so I would have to get one to match the same color. That might be harder to do than said. Amazing how complicated they can much something so easy and small so complicated to fix and not need to replace a whole mirror.

JeepForever
07-19-2007, 03:18 PM
MSDZ,
Thanks for the tip. My mirror is holding on well with just the top spring so I'm not too stressed. If you choose to replace it you can buy custom-mixed spray-paint online by providing the paint code for your vehicle. It will cost around $30, but then you don't have to worry about finding the right color mirror. Let me know if you want to go that route and I can send you the link.

If I have any trouble with my mirror I might resort to epoxy. It will eliminate the fold-back feature, but then if it "breaks away" for real, I'll just glue it back on again. That's the beauty of having an old vehicle - it doesn't have to be exactly new.

msdz
07-20-2007, 09:30 PM
Yeah, give me that link just so I can have it for future referrances. I was going to find some way of bubble-gumming mine together and when I seen it would be possible to maybe use 2 little tiny bolts and nuts to hold it in place eliminating the fold feature my wife said "NO, I want it like it is SUPPOSED to be". So, I guess tomorrow I go for a long drive just for the spring... but never know, I might find some other goodies while at the junkyard I need or WANT.

Add your comment to this topic!