Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Cooling issue on '94 JGC 4.0

marksims0003
07-17-2007, 12:19 AM
I've got an issue with my '94 Jeep Grand Cherokee with the straight 6, 4.0L motor. It overheated a couple of days ago. I searched the forum and found the suggestion to check the upper radiator hose because the t-stat could be stuck. It didn't feel like any coolant was flowing through it, suggesting the t-stat was indeed stuck, so i replaced it with a 180 and topped off the coolant.

That didn't fix it.

A little back story. It used to make a swishing sound on the passenger side on start up. I'm not sure if that's relevant or not. I also replaced the water pump about 2 years ago after the infamous weep hole leak. Could it be a malfunctioning water pump? It's not leaking coolant from anywhere, so I'm not sure what to check next.

Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

mark

hardisk_c
07-17-2007, 05:22 AM
If its overheated, I'd recommend a burping of the coolant system if not already done.

marksims0003
07-17-2007, 09:12 AM
Thanks C! I'll give it a try. Forgive my ignorance, but is burping similar to flushing the system?

mark

Scott1975
07-17-2007, 09:57 PM
Burping is getting all the air out of the system. I like to use a funnel that is made for the radiators to do mine, it lets me know that all the air is out. If you dont have one, just turn your heater on full blast, if it gets hot, usually all the air is out. if not, let it run for about 5min at about 1500rpm, turn the motor off, let it cool down, check the coolant level in the radiator, fill if necessary, put cap back on , run for another 5min or so, repeat process untill you have ot air coming out the vents at idle.another way is to find the highest point, like the temp sensor that is in the thermostat housing, take it out, with the motor off, and put coolant in the radiator, when you see a steady stream of coolant coming out, usually just about all the air is out. hope this helps

Add your comment to this topic!