Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

My WRX Mini Z

MaukaRunner
11-06-2002, 12:12 PM
My first paint job in 10 years and my first using Lacquer. I used duplicolor primer, Tamiya Mica Blue and Duplicolor Clear.

Used tamiya compound and Meguiars Deep Crystal Polish to get rid of some of the orange peel.

How's it look? It looks a better in real life.

MaukaRunner
11-06-2002, 12:21 PM
here's another pic

flyonthewall
11-06-2002, 12:22 PM
Looks good!

Which WRX kit is this one? I have Fujimi's version IV on order from HLJ.

freakray
11-06-2002, 12:28 PM
Chris,
It's a Mini-Z, they are small scale R/C cars from Kyosho, I think they are 1/24 but still full function R/C hobby level cars.
Pretty quick for their size too!
Paint looks good, needs the wheels done gold though too I think.

Ray

MaukaRunner
11-06-2002, 12:43 PM
Actually it's not a kit. It's a Kyosho Mini Z RC car. Most of the new ones come with prepainted bodies but this is one of the original bodies which must be painted. Unlike regular RC cars this one has a model car type plastic body not lexan.

I bought it used and it was Chrome Yellow when I got it. I stripped the paint and repainted it.

I found this forum and it has been real helpful.

Hopefully I will get better at spraying. I rushed it and did not sand between coats and the body had some orange peel which took me a couple of hours of carefully compounding to get most of it out. Not a mirror finish but it looks good to me.

Now only if I can find some nice decals for it. Thanks for all the help!

flyonthewall
11-06-2002, 12:49 PM
I realised it was a mini z right after posting - don't i feel stoooopid!!!

I was going to by a Nikko WRX some time ago, odviously not as good as Mini Z's but alot cheaper and would make a cool RC tuner.

Do mini Z's have interiors or just black windows?

OPM
11-06-2002, 01:11 PM
can you give us maybe some links to mini-z forums?

i want to buy one and have to know if mods are possible,so i can use some old bodies

MaukaRunner
11-06-2002, 01:33 PM
Here is one!

mini z forum (http://mini-zracer.com/forums/)

MaukaRunner
11-06-2002, 02:06 PM
Do mini Z's have interiors or just black windows?

they have dark tinted windows

Here is a pic of my collection:

Jay!
11-06-2002, 03:00 PM
Is that a Vitz! :cool:

I've been keeping an eye on the Mini-Z lineup in case they decide to make a facelifted NSX body in 1/24 scale... ;)

hirofkd
11-06-2002, 07:07 PM
The scale of Mini-Z varies by subject, because it's adjusted to the wheelbase of a generic chassis. Generally it's about 1/28 scale, but large cars get shrunk more and small cars don't. At least the F1 tires for Mini-Z can be substituted to Revell's 1/24 scale formula one cars, as I mentioned in my webpage.
http://www.asahi-net.or.jp/~xr2h-fkd/scalemodels/project/f1/00drf2k/page1.htm

Add your comment to this topic!