Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

anyone know anything about vw turbos?

232FIed
07-16-2007, 08:48 PM
hi everyone, i was given a turbo, brand new, to do with what i please. but i need some information. it has a blue badge labeled kkk and the numbers:
k03-052ED503971

now i could guess and say its from a 99-02 golf/jetta/a3/beetle.
looks like this ------> http://www.performance-cafe.com/images/06a145713d.jpg

anyway, am i right as far as the car its from? how is the wastegate activated? will i need any of the cars electronics/solonoids to make it work? is there anything i can do to activate the wastegate/set the boost without the stock systems setup? there are 4 oil feeds: two on one side, 1 with a screw on each side and another opposite a hex-head drain plug of some sort.

i wanna fabricate a system for an 84 rabbit but i need as much info as i can get on this before i start taking things apart. anything please.

UncleBob
07-16-2007, 09:24 PM
K03 is good to 180ish hp. There is an oil feed, and a oil drain. The other two are for coolant, which you can use or ignore if you like.

Not sure why it would matter what car its off of.....

Its an internal waste gate. The actuator has a boost reference to it, and can be made adjustable if its not already, or you can add a boost controller for higher boost if you like.

232FIed
07-16-2007, 09:49 PM
hey thanks for the responce. the (vacuum?) line on the wastegate was cut so i have no clue where that connects to. kindof in the dark on this as you can tell. aanyone else have anything i should know about this turbo?

turtlecrxsi
07-17-2007, 09:51 AM
I know that the k03 is a tiny turbo and the wastegate is pre-set but like UncleBob said can be adjusted if you know how to mess with it. I believe this is the same turbo on my wife's 1.8t Passat. Anyway, I do know that it's a reliable turbo if the car it came from wasn't mistreated. What engine are you going to use?

UncleBob
07-17-2007, 01:03 PM
hey thanks for the responce. the (vacuum?) line on the wastegate was cut so i have no clue where that connects to. kindof in the dark on this as you can tell. aanyone else have anything i should know about this turbo?
shouldn't be any vacuum to that line....its boost reference only. You can get the boost reference from anywhere as long as there's no vacuum (IE, it must be between the turbo and the throttle body)

Most turbo's put a reference port right on the compressor housing. If the turbo doesn't have one, you could easily add one. Or add one anywhere on the pipe leading to the throttle body

I would recommend researching turbo's a lot. They are dangerous in inexperienced hands. Motors go boom very quickly with very small mistakes

232FIed
07-17-2007, 02:19 PM
What engine are you going to use?

well i rebuilt a 1.8 8v from an 88 jetta, my friend pulled it back in 05 out of his car and put a 16v in. so the 8v was free to take. i bought an 84 rabbit for 400 that needed a radiator last month with the 8v already in it so the swap will be easy. researching i found out the turbo setup from the old jetta TDs would be direct bolt up so i'd try to go that route. BUT i was given this turbo last week for some work i did for this kid and decided with a welder and a machine shop availible to me, i mine as well try this out. i will most likely have to cut about 2 1/2 inches back into the firewall for fitment issues but regardless, this cars not my daily driver and i have plenty of time to play around with it. so here i am

i've definitly learned alot so far. thanks-

Add your comment to this topic!