Help, 97 Buick LaSabre water pump replace...

ghink
07-16-2007, 05:54 PM
Water pump replace...

Can't figure out how to get to the bolt behind the power steering pully?

ChemMan
07-16-2007, 06:34 PM
There should be a hole in the pulley. Rotate the power steering pump pulley to line it up.

ghink
07-16-2007, 08:05 PM
It appears that the factory has installed the wrong power steeting pulley for none of the holes line up. BTW, I bought this car new.
The bolt head is at the outer edge of the pulley making impossible to remove.
So that being said, I have to pull the power steeing pump. How do I do this?

rustbucket
07-17-2007, 08:14 AM
You have to loosen the powersteering pump from the block, and move it out of the way slightly. Line up the hole in the pulley with the power steering mounting bolts (2 of them), might need a mirror to see them through the hole.

ghink
07-17-2007, 08:16 AM
Finally figured out that the holes in the power steering pump are to access the two bolts for the power steering mounting. Pulled these bolts drop the power steering down to access the bolt for the water pump.

Smith1000
07-17-2007, 09:34 PM
Just replaced a water pump on my 97 Lesabre and went through the same. Kind of tricky to get the bolts restarted on the power steering pump. Too bad the pump has to come off just to get to that one bolt.

ghink
07-18-2007, 05:33 AM
In deed it was tricky to restart the two bolts for the power steering. It took me 30 minutes to remount the power steering. Maybe one could just loosen the bottom bolt & remove the top one this would make it easier.

Smith1000
07-18-2007, 05:51 AM
I know what you mean. I tried taking out the top bolt and leaving the bottom, but still didn't seem to gain enough clearance, so I continued to back off the bottom. Once one of the bolts is started, it goes back on quick. Sure glad to have the job completed.

Water pump went out in this heat and, fortunately, the engine did not get very hot. Last January, the idler pulley for the belt froze and the belt dropped off. Hopefully, these problems are solved for a while. It has 150,000 miles on it now. I have another 97 Lesabre with just under 180,000 miles on it.

ghink
07-19-2007, 05:21 AM
One could remove the original bolts one at a time and insert longer bolts or bolt to hold the alignment. Then remove the water pump and install the new pump. Take the long bolts out one at time and then install the original bolts.

Add your comment to this topic!