Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Severe Electrical Problems

ssssmashing
07-16-2007, 09:29 AM
Hello all!
I am new to the AF and I was hoping someone can help. I have a 2003 Santa Fe and I am having SEVERE electrical problems with the vehicle. I purchase it used about 3 months ago and shortly after buying it I started having problems with the power door locks. The dealer fixed this but they went bad again (sometimes) Recently on a trip when I went to hit the door lock button and the windshield wipers turned on. Then I turned on the headlights and lost all power to the dash (when I turned the lights off the gauges, radio, etc came back on. Then the temp gauge stopped working properly. It showed the engine running hot, then if I turned the lights off the temp gauge dropped sharply and showed normal. Then the AC started cutting out and the fasten seatbelt light and signal stuck on. When I returned I took it to the dealer and they could not replicate the problem. My problem is my warrentee will run out in another 1500 miles.:banghead:

Any suggestions?? Any help or suggestions are welcomed.
Thanks
Frank

ssssmashing
07-27-2007, 07:57 AM
Well this forum was as helpful as my local dealer and Hyundai USA. I have owned my first and last Korean manufactured automobile. ASAP - I will be trading it in (for next to nothing) to get a good old reliable, dependable Honda.

mac55
08-05-2007, 03:19 PM
Probly is the battery!!!
I had my battery die on the way home from nj I would put my turn signal on and the radio would quit, then if I flashed my head lights the car would die!!!!
crazy!!!!
mac55

Jalmir
08-06-2007, 09:51 AM
mac55 : A dead battery doesn't do that, sorry but if raplacing your battery solved the problem then you have a bad alt.

ssssmashing : this forum isn't for car diagnostics, the problem you described could only be solved by changing sections, if not all, of the car's wiring. Any cars are subject to those problems even a Honda (a friend of mine had BAD electrical problem with her 2005 Civic).

and BTW, you SHOULD have went to another dealer if the one you were doing business with was not fixing the problem.

mac55
08-06-2007, 01:20 PM
Jalmir,
Sorry about that but the dealer tested the alt and battery and it was just the battery!!!!

mac55
08-06-2007, 01:22 PM
And what is this forum for????
Just hey how are ya? or I just Love my Santaeeee!!!!!!!!!!!!
wtf!

Jalmir
08-06-2007, 02:35 PM
what I was saying is that you can't diagnose a car problem that big on a forum, we can help on giving tips and advice but that's pretty much it.

And BTW, a dead batt CAN'T do what you described, you apparently have a problem with your alt or your electrical system, any car can run WITHOUT a battery, it's the alt that give the electricity to run the engine and it's accessories. The battery is only there to start it.

Add your comment to this topic!