Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

96 cirrus lxi computer location

speeddevil
07-14-2007, 11:23 AM
i have a 96 cirrus that i just picked up, i have had for about a week already. well to make things short, my service engine light lite up, well i ran the computer on it, and the reason the light is on is cuz the cars computers is bad. i cant quite seem to locate the computer. can anyone help me on locating or telling me by where it is at.

jflam
07-17-2007, 11:52 PM
Hey- I've got a 95 cirrus lxi, which should be the same. The PCM (main computer) is located under the hood on the driver's side, right inbetween the air filter housing and the PDC (fusebox). It's pretty slim and doesn't look like much, mounted vertically (looks like mine has a covering of dirty sheet metal or something) and has 2 small plastic boxes attached to the top (I think they're 40-pin connectors) with all the loads of wires that are coming out of the thing. I believe it is mounted with two bolts, but I haven't removed or replaced mine.

sub006
09-10-2007, 04:10 PM
It's simple to remove. I'm not aware of any independent source for refurbished computers other than Mopar. You have to take yours in and trade it for the rebuilt one, apparently they need the cores.

AND it has to be programmed by a Chrysler or Dodge dealer for about $100 before the car will start or run. The computer itself is $300-$400.

Sort of makes you want to visit the self-service junkyard. But you STILL need the dealer to program the car's VIN number and mileage or the car won't run. Almost worth paying them to test your car for $100, and if they agree the computer is the probelm, let them install and program it so you have a guarantee.

Add your comment to this topic!