Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Help! Acceleration and Overheating!

pastryminx
07-13-2007, 10:00 PM
About 6 weeks ago, my check engine light came on. However, I didn't notice anything different about the way the car was running. So, I didn't rush to get to my mechanic, thinking possibly it was just a sensor gone bad or something like that.

Fast forward to two weeks ago. After a 45 minute drive, and a stop to get some gas, I turned the car back on and the temp gauge was moving steadily closer to H. I turned the heater on full blast and the gauge slowly moved back to the middle. I drove home with the heater on full blast.

This problem continued on drives longer than 20 minutes. Once I reach about a 20 minute mark, the gauge starts to slowly climb up. I then crank the heater.

I checked for leaks. Nothing. I had a fellow look at it who does mechanic work and he said 'go get your radiator flushed'. I did that and the problem is still occurring.

However, now there's a new issue. I have very poor acceleration and a very difficult time dropping into the various gears. The other day, my max speed was 35 miles per hour and the temp gauge was running hot.

It's very difficult to get the car to go any faster than 55 miles per hour and when I press my foot down to accelerate, the needle seems to DROP rather than INCREASE in speed. And, it revs very high before it drops to the next gear.

I'm getting increasingly worried about continuing to drive my car in this state for fear of really wrecking the engine. I can't afford any heavy duty repairs, and can't get to my mechanic til Weds of this week.

Is there anything I can do on my own to possibly HELP my problem.....and also, what could the potential problem be?

I will say that I do need an oil change, that I'm sure. But, I wouldn't think that would be enough to make the car overheat and suffer poor acceleration and a loss of power.

Currently, the car is at 120,000 miles. I have owned it for a year and two months and have never had any real 'service' done on the car except for a major repair a few months ago in regards to a hole burned in a pipe in my exhaust system from fuel leaking into it.

HELP...anybody!!!

PM:eek:

peachferrari
07-16-2007, 11:29 AM
With that many miles, you should have done the timing belt, accessory belt(s), fuel filter, spark plugs, air filter, and coolant at least twice. That check engine light could have been one of hundreds of possibilities, so if it is still there or comes back get it checked out ASAP. And no, I wouldn't think the lack of an oil change would cause that many problems. Hope you can get it figured out.

Add your comment to this topic!