Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

2004 LS Front end noise ?

troubles789
07-13-2007, 05:06 PM
New to front wheel drive cars. So here is what has started happening this week with 56K. While sitting still in park turning steering wheel all the way left and then right you can hear a snapping or clicking type sound.
When driving from 20mph to about 55mph you can hear a pretty good sounding whirling or somewhat low growl sound, above 55mph to 70mph the sound is less noise, but still hear-able. Turn left while going down the road it gets louder, turn right it get quieter.
I have jacked up both sides by A-frame and spun both hub sides by hand with tires and rims on and didn't hear anything unusual to me, no play that i could tell in hub area.
I turned the half shafts by hand and checked for play fender to fender seems normal and front to back couldn't feel any play. No rips or holes in boots.
When going down the road the sound seems center, but know that sound does travel into other areas.
So what would be your ideas?

richtazz
07-14-2007, 01:43 PM
with the snapping/clicking while turning the wheels in park added to the hum/roar while driving would indicate a bad front hub bearing (or two). Since it's louder turning left, I'd suspect the left front hub is the problem (as hubs get noisier when unloaded).

Legacy3135
07-14-2007, 03:35 PM
with the snapping/clicking while turning the wheels in park added to the hum/roar while driving would indicate a bad front hub bearing (or two). Since it's louder turning left, I'd suspect the left front hub is the problem (as hubs get noisier when unloaded).
___

troubles789
07-15-2007, 01:34 PM
Checked some more today and thinking hub bearing too. What size is the hub spindle nut on the LS? My socket for the jimmy and blazer is to big at 36mm.

dwalmop
07-16-2007, 12:22 PM
If it's doing it while it's in park, it may also simply be the upper strut bearing plates as well, although I suspect you probably wouldn't hear that while you're driving.

troubles789
07-20-2007, 01:05 PM
Any good step by step links for the front hub replacement out there for a DIY person? Any IPL's etc? any guesses on the front hub socket size? tried 30mm to small, 36mm to big. So I need to buy another one for this car.

Add your comment to this topic!