When 2 Change Oil On New Silverado?

MARKHUYSMAN
07-13-2007, 11:22 AM
I just bought a new 07 Chevy Silverado Classic, with the 4.3L V6 engine.

When should I do the first oil change on my new truck?

And what oil should I use? 5w-30, 10w-30?!?!

Thanks everyone in advance!

'97ventureowner
07-13-2007, 11:49 AM
All the information to answer your questions is found in your owner's manual. The correct mileage range and viscosity recommendations are listed for the owner's use. I have always followed the "severe use " set of recommendations which has shorter change intervals. Most of the "normal" driving that people do is considered "severe",( i.e. stop and go city driving, short trips, dusty conditions.)

BertMan2006
07-13-2007, 04:56 PM
I have a 2006 Silverado 1500 with a 5.3 Lt. I have always changed my oil between 3k - 5k miles and have never let it get over 5k miles.
On my silverado there is an oil life indicator that gives me a percentage left of oil life. I haven't went by this indicator because at about 4k miles it indicates that the oil life is still around 70%. I have heard that this indicator reads the following items to determine the oil life (average temperature, miles, rpms, engine hours) but I do not know if this is true. If I was to go by this indicator, then I would only be changing my oil every 15k+ miles.
Does anyone have any input to the oil life indicator and its accuracy?
Also, any preferences or experiences on regular oil, partial synthetic oil, or full synthetic oil?
I have always used regular Havoline 5W-30 and haven't had any problems with it, but on my new 2006 Silverado I decided to try Castrol Synthetic.

rjeffery
07-13-2007, 10:22 PM
I would do 1st oil change at 500 mi. then every 3,000 mi after that using conventional 5w30. But as shrek pointed out, check you owners manual. Recommended oil weight should also be printed on the oil filler cap.

'97ventureowner
07-13-2007, 10:33 PM
I have a 2006 Silverado 1500 with a 5.3 Lt. I have always changed my oil between 3k - 5k miles and have never let it get over 5k miles.
On my silverado there is an oil life indicator that gives me a percentage left of oil life. I haven't went by this indicator because at about 4k miles it indicates that the oil life is still around 70%. I have heard that this indicator reads the following items to determine the oil life (average temperature, miles, rpms, engine hours) but I do not know if this is true. If I was to go by this indicator, then I would only be changing my oil every 15k+ miles.
Does anyone have any input to the oil life indicator and its accuracy?
Also, any preferences or experiences on regular oil, partial synthetic oil, or full synthetic oil?
I have always used regular Havoline 5W-30 and haven't had any problems with it, but on my new 2006 Silverado I decided to try Castrol Synthetic.
GM instituted the oil life monitoring system in hopes of decreasing oil usage and conserving oil. It uses a mathematical model based on operating temperature, engine RPMs, and running time among some of the factors. It doesn't test the oil. Many have found that the oil change interval has gone up on their vehicles to over 7500 miles depending on their driving habits and conditions. I believe as time goes on and more people become educated on how this system works, it will become more accepted and we may be able to conserve oil , thus lowering our dependence on it.
I have a 2006 Uplander and this vehicle was my first experience with such a system. I purchased the vehicle in the Fall of 2006, and when it came time for it's first oil change I decided to use synthetic oil. I like many of the features of synthetic, including a longer change interval and it being better for my engine. I noticed my oil life monitor was acting as if I had conventional oil in the crankcase, so I did some research to better understand the system. The monitor cannot distinguish between conventional and synthetic so when the monitor reached zero, I reset it. I plan to change my oil between 7500 to 10,000 miles and I've seen some people that use synthetic go as long as 15,000 miles with just a filter change and top off at 7500 miles.
I've noticed the % of oil life drops more quickly in the winter than the summer. My winters are quite cold in NY (-20 as a low, and the summers can reach up to 100 degrees on occasion.)In the winter I noticed that I would get close to 2700 miles between oil changes, and now that summer is here the figure is over 3500. That shows that the monitoring system is doing it's job correctly as the winter can be harder on oil life with it's colder operating temps and shorter trips where the engine may not warm up as much as it would in the summer.

White Lightening
07-13-2007, 11:46 PM
Greeting Fellow Truck lover,

Ah - a new truck - the smells and new seats :)

First off - everyone will have different determinations. In my case with my new truck in 2004 - I bought 9 cases of the exact same oil 5w-30 Havoline normal oil (no synthetics for me). I did the first oil change at 750 miles after driving the vehicle that 1st 750 miles in a 2/3rd highway 1/3rd city combination. I looked at the oil to make sure how much "sparkle" it had in it. I then used a Pure Premium filter with the new oil. Then I changed again at 1500 miles using Motor Flush and when replacing the oil I used Slick 50 at that point and a Pure One filter. Some will disagree - about the Slick 50 - but my mpg is excellent - a quiet engine - and lack of any problems seems to encourage this method - and I've used it with every past vehcile and motorcycle I've owned.

After the 1500 mile change - then I started using the Oil Life indicator - changing at 25% remaining. On this forum - you can find an article posted by a writer - who happened to be one of the inventors/creators of the engineering of the Silverado Oil Life equipment (right from GM). The oil life indicator is a very sophisticated piece of design. It specially uses light refraction optical evaluation. When you see the percentages changing - it is based on a COMBINATION of light reading, opaqueness, transparency, and prizmatic color recognition. According to what the designer had posted at the time - it could recognize dirt, metal contamination, and oil clarity and oil foaming. Your oil life percentage is not mileage based - and is not hours based. The entire concept is based on oil's ability to lubricate properly - and measures optically the different lubricant properties (I believe there are more than 6 properties and some 12+ tests - as I recall from the post). I'm sure if you wish to read the post - you can easily search for it with the Forum search tool.

Just my two cents worth. You may also want to read a rather extensive thread that many contributed to regarding oil considerations and mileage issues. Its long (428 replies - over 33,300 views) - but for myself and many other contributors - it was a benefit and continues to be of value as these gas prices keep climbing and maintenance continues to climb for many. Here it is in case you are interested:
http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=335161

Add your comment to this topic!