Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

2200 serp belt

jakegday
07-12-2007, 08:37 AM
i checked the thread designed for this specific subject and my question is still not answered

my 98 2.2 has an air conditioner, i want to know if i can buy a belt for a 98 2.2 without a/c, and just bypass my ac pulley, from looking at it im gonna guess not, just cuz right now the water pump pulley has the belt basically wrapped all the way around it, but if i bypass the a/c pulley with a shorter belt, there would be hardly any belt contact with the water pump

does anyone know?

Classicrocjunkie
07-12-2007, 01:39 PM
Look under your hood, see both diagrams of how to route the belt. Bada bing. If clearance is needed just remove the unit and all its hardware. Thats what we did for our turbo'd 2200.

jakegday
07-12-2007, 06:45 PM
good idea, that solved my problem

got another question though, if i do bypass my a/c for a few months, and that pulley doesnt move at all for those months, is there a good chance my a/c wont work at all when i put the longer belt back on?

Classicrocjunkie
07-13-2007, 10:41 AM
My car sits in storage for 7-8 mos out of the year. Has worked for the past 2 years after not using it for that long. Thats the best answer i can give ya man. I only turn it on to circulate the R-134a through the system and lube bearings so the clutch doesn't rattle like a mofo. Cause i personally hate A/C

Android_Gimpy6456
07-14-2007, 08:04 PM
on the old cavies (mines a 1990 2.2) you can run the water pump forward OR backward it wont hurt nothing I put my head on and have bypassed my A/C and run my water pump backward abd its been that way a while now. Finished it last week and I put 200 miles on it just today no probs at all.

jakegday
07-15-2007, 04:37 AM
ok? what in the FUCK was the point of that?

gman51
11-21-2007, 07:58 PM
I have a 2001 chevy cavalier . How do I change the belt tensioner pulley ? Does anyone know ?? Thanks

construct30
11-21-2007, 11:22 PM
If you bypass the AC condensor do you have any problem with the defroster? The AC unit runs when you turn on the defroster when the car has AC. Has anyone had a problem with that? Do you have to do any rewiring or do you just unplug the AC unit and just change the belt? I live in the north, I need my defroster to work good. I like my AC and wouldn't do it, just saw the thread and I wondered. Might be a cheap repair if the AC unit ever froze up on a trip.

mark

jakegday
11-22-2007, 01:28 AM
i put the shorter belt on and have no problems, i didnt unplug anything, the defroster works great once the car is warmed up, just like defrosters worked back before the 90's

Add your comment to this topic!