Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Weak car? Big problem

Bootsgamer
07-12-2007, 03:00 AM
I have a 93 honda civic. when my car is low on gas it runs really bad but the more gas i put in it the more stable the idle becomes when its low it turns off alot like every time i stop. also when im driving and i press on the gas hard a noise like a light grinding coming from the back that I think might be the fuel pump also when im parked and I turn the key to hear the fuel pump only somtimes it will kick in? isnt it sopose to kick in every time? :banghead:

Greenblurr93
07-12-2007, 08:17 AM
Check your main relay, change your fuel filter

Bootsgamer
07-12-2007, 11:44 AM
Fuel Filter was changed about two weeks ago and a main relay wouldn't do that.

Greenblurr93
07-12-2007, 12:53 PM
if the main relay is dying, it sometimes wont click on, which in turn wont prime your fuel pump so yes.. that could be part of your problem

Is the gas dirty? if the inside of your tank is starting to rust, it will send those particles into the fuel filter, almost instantly clogging it. to check, take your fuel filter off and drain it backwards into a clear container that it wont eat through. if its excessivly dirty, then either the inside of your lines or tank are rusting. another way to check is to take out your sending unit and look at the pre filter screen

Bootsgamer
07-12-2007, 01:19 PM
The car will run fine untill it gets up to temp A bit weak but fine. If the main relay was dying wouldnt it just turn off and not come back on? the car idles bad but its not a constistant bad idle its more like a puttering. also 2 times while dring it has lost power and i had to pull over and turn it off then restart it then it was working agan? I will check out the main relay and get back to ya.

Greenblurr93
07-12-2007, 04:07 PM
if the main relay doesnt click, it wont start... you may be able to try again and it will work...if its only acting up at temp, then it could be your 02 sensor or something in your ignition system

Bootsgamer
07-16-2007, 01:19 PM
Ok i checked the main relay its good and i think the grinding in the back is getting louder Im almost sure is the fuel pump theres nothing else back there that could make this kind of grinding?? also it sound to be coming from there?

Greenblurr93
07-16-2007, 08:15 PM
could be. its easy to replace, good luck

Bootsgamer
07-17-2007, 11:44 AM
Thanks GreenBlurr93

Dimension_X
07-26-2007, 06:09 PM
Hey, this may be way late for advice. But I took my car into a shop recently, 2000 Honda Accord and I overheard the mechanic talking about Japanese cars and fuel....apaprently if a import car (Toyota Honda etc.) if you run out of gas its screws up the timing or something like that and he said that you need to replace all your sparkplugs and wiring. so I dont know if thats the problem but I thought it was an interesting bit of info.

Greenblurr93
07-27-2007, 09:19 AM
its also not true..

Bootsgamer
07-28-2007, 01:17 PM
I have never run out of fuel with it and i dont think theres any cars that when you run out of fuel you have to change the spark plugs.

Add your comment to this topic!