Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Clunking sound coming from under trunk?

MMMarie
07-12-2007, 01:28 AM
I have a '90 Corsica. Recently I have noticed a clunking sound coming from the passenger side, trunk area.

It only happens when I come to a stop, and the sound usually comes about a second later, almost like there was something heavy in the trunk that would roll to the side of the trunk and make a clunk when Icame to a stop (or near stop)......So I emptied the trunk out, but it still happens.

It does happen every single time I stop, but it happens most times. It's like a loud clunk coming from the right rear of the car.

Anyone have any idea what this could be?

Thanks.

jsgold
07-13-2007, 12:02 AM
hard to say but the only things that come to mind would be a broken shock or a loose brake assembly as far as rear goes. If the noise was in the front I would say perhaps cv joint problems although they usually act up when turning the car and make a popping sound. Might want to get the car on a lift and inspect under it for loose stuff including the exhaust pipe.

MMMarie
07-14-2007, 04:08 AM
hard to say but the only things that come to mind would be a broken shock or a loose brake assembly as far as rear goes. If the noise was in the front I would say perhaps cv joint problems although they usually act up when turning the car and make a popping sound. Might want to get the car on a lift and inspect under it for loose stuff including the exhaust pipe.

I did have some rear brake work done a few months ago......So today I went back to them and they said that it is possible that a clunking noise could mean the brakes needed a minor adjustment, so they readjusted them, but the clunk is still there. darn...

I worry that I might be driving down the highway, and something major could happen with the car... If the problem was to do with shocks, is that something they would have picked up on when they did the brakes again today? or would they have had to have been specifically checking the shocks or struts? (Sorry, I have no clue what they are, but am wondering if they are visible when you do the brakes...)

The clunk only seems to happen shortly before, or a couple seconds after, I stop... There's a clunk noise like something heavy is in the trunk. I've never heard the noise while I was actually driving.

Very strange...

Add your comment to this topic!