Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

ATF-4 and 99 GCL

Goldfishy
07-11-2007, 07:59 PM
Has anyone used ATF-4 in their older model GCL's without any problems? Hopefully, to hear from those that have actually used it in their case.

The local Walmarts in my area carries only that version now. I guess I could stop off at another major auto supply store, but not that convenient, to buy the older type of AT fluid, meant for Mopar's.

dksob81
07-11-2007, 09:33 PM
I used ATF+4 in my old ZJ (94) and I currently use it in my new ZJ (98). I have not had any problems with it at all. I am very pleased with it. ATF+3 is recommended in ZJ's but it is a good upgrade to use the ATF+4 it is suppose to help improve shifting, especially cold shifting.
I would only use MOPAR brand ATF+4, but hearing all the horror stories about using the wrong tranny fluid in jeeps (all chrysler products for that matter) I would only trust MOPAR brand. My local SUPOER WAL-MART used to have MPAR brand ATF+4 when they first opened at the new location but when I went to get some a few months ago when I needed to flush my tranny to switch to the ATF+4 they did not have any at all, they didn't even have a listing for it on the shelves. So I don't know, I have checked since then to see if they started carrying it again.

Bob D.
07-12-2007, 12:09 AM
ATF+4 is an upgraded fluid and became factory fill around 2002. There is also a Chrysler TSB for all Jeep transmissions, except a few very early ones, to switch to ATF+4.
It's compatible with ATF+3 for topping off, but use only +4 when doing a fluid change.
When I serviced my 2001 in 2004 it got Mopar ATF+4. No problems, shifts good.

Add your comment to this topic!