Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

1995 4.3 A/C compressor clutch problems

JoulesWinfield
07-11-2007, 12:44 PM
Got a question for you A/C inclined guys.
I have a 1995 Blazer Lt with A/C.
When the solenoid engaged I would get this dragging sound and the belt would start to slip. I figured it was the clutch so I disengaged the solednoid and have had no further problems. The air was still plenty cold until this problem, then it was not working well at all.

So what Im wondering is should I buy a new clutch and solenoid assembly and just replace it?
Has anyone pulled their clutch? How do I go about getting it off?
Anyone think it could be anything else?

tas97459
07-11-2007, 12:57 PM
do web search for tools removal compressor clutch

MT-2500
07-11-2007, 02:00 PM
You can jumper the dark blue or green wire at compressor clutch with AC controls turned off and engine running.
Use a fused 12 volt jumper wire.

Clutch should click in good when jumper and release good when unhooked.
Watch for clutch plate drag when unhooked and check for proper clutch plate clearance.

Also good idea to check the compressor front hub bearing.

AZ and some parts places loan or rent the tools to change the clutch.
Good luck
MT

JoulesWinfield
07-12-2007, 07:50 AM
Thanks guys.
After doing some reading I think it may be the bearing. Ill have to do some diagnostics when I get back from vacation.

MT-2500
07-12-2007, 08:54 AM
Thanks guys.
After doing some reading I think it may be the bearing. Ill have to do some diagnostics when I get back from vacation.

You are welcome and let us know how it goes.
When you take the belt off you can feel the bearing to see if it is bad.
Good Luck
MT

JoulesWinfield
07-14-2007, 03:18 PM
The bearing feels fine with the clutch disengaged but as soon as it engages it starts making noise and the belt squeals a little.

MT-2500
07-14-2007, 03:45 PM
The bearing feels fine with the clutch disengaged but as soon as it engages it starts making noise and the belt squeals a little.

The compressor is bad.
MT

Add your comment to this topic!