Engines

ghostrider5778
09-16-2001, 09:09 AM
Ok I dont even have my permit yet. What exaclty is V-tec, Mugen, Spoon, Type R, and Type S? And which is the best to have in an Integra. thanks

MercCougarXR7
09-16-2001, 10:34 AM
Well, I've driven a base Integra, and I can say that it was about the same as a Civic for performance. Then, a Friend of mine owns a TypeR Integra, and that sucker flys! I don't know what makes the difference, but probably in the cam.

That said, V-tek (to the best of my knowledge) is based on the valves and cam. But, the power from the technology is only utilized over a certain high RPM, and you don't benefit from it when driving normally.

My advice - buy a V8 :)!

Chris
09-20-2001, 09:04 PM
Ummm, yes, a V8.

Anyway, VTEC is variable valve timing and lift. After a certain rpm (some are now continously variable), the cam will either:
1) shift position (move down), increasing rotation (advancing timing) and improving lift.
2) a second cam lobe is utilized, increasing timing and lift
or 3) all of the above.
The advantages are a broad powerband, with more power down low and more up high.

Mugen is a private company that specializes in Honda. They work very closely with honda to make high-performance aftermarket parts.

Spoon: never heard of 'em

Type R: a model designation. Most commonly associated with the Acura Integra Type R. It had 195hp from a 1.8 liter engine. The fastest stock rice rocket at one time.

Type S: a model designation. Most commonly associated with Acura. In teh TL and CL, it has 260hp and a stiffer suspension. In the RSX it has 200hp and a better suspension and a 6-speed manual.

The Integra: The Type R is the best. Otherwise a GS-R with 170hp. The type R has VTEC (I'm not sure about the GS(T??)-R) Mugen parts could be added to increase performance.

You have a lot of learning to do, my son:licker:

enginerd
10-01-2001, 02:14 PM
Buy a V-8. I wouldn't want to throw hundreds to thousands of dollars into a little engine to get power out of it. A V-8 wouldn't require all the super complicated technology to put a smile on your face. Besides nothing beats the blat blat noise of a healthy American engine.:)

Chris
10-02-2001, 11:03 AM
V8's also have amazing torque low-down, something a four could never have. And it will be cheaper in the long run.

My favorite is a Chrysler Hemi crate engine. It is 528 cubic inches (almost 9 liters!!), pushrod, aluminum, and you supply the carb and intake manifold. It will make about 610hp!! It is about 10 grand.

kazahayastreet
11-25-2001, 07:31 PM
Spoon is also a private company which also specializes in Honda cars.
Spoon usually modifies the Civic EG and EK series.I'm not sure whether Spoon really modifies other models within the Honda manufacturing range, but they do supply aftermarket products for Honda engines like forged pistons, forged steel connecting rods and crankshaft. It seem to be a trademark that whenever a car is modified or tuned by Spoon, the car's hood will be painted with non-metallic black color. :smoker:

Polygon
12-05-2001, 10:57 AM
Originally posted by Chris
V8's also have amazing torque low-down, something a four could never have. And it will be cheaper in the long run.

My favorite is a Chrysler Hemi crate engine. It is 528 cubic inches (almost 9 liters!!), pushrod, aluminum, and you supply the carb and intake manifold. It will make about 610hp!! It is about 10 grand.

Ohh goodness. :jump:

No argument here. I am not sure where I head this but some guy put a 528 crate Hemi in his Charger with no mods and was getting 642 HP at the wheels. OH MAN I want that engine!!!

LsvtecHatch
12-12-2001, 06:03 AM
Since you are looking for an integra, get a Type R, or GSR. Don't get the base models, unless you're going to get an LSVtec or turbo. But I doubt your parents would be up to letting you turbo(insurance would be a bitch), or messing with the engine.

l0gan
01-04-2002, 05:34 PM
hey ghost, you would probably better off getting a v6 or v8 especially if you dont want do a lot of work to your cars... there is hardly any 4 cylinder engines that power fast cars unless you put a lot of time and money into it. You also need to know a ton about your car and the stuff ya wanna do, so my advice is if you dont know what a vtec or a any of these after-market companies are... youd be better off with an american car that has speed stock. Personally I have a honda civic... and its not very cool until you can afford aftermarket stuff. A 1980's mustang would be a cool car that isnt too terribly expensive.

Chris
01-04-2002, 09:15 PM
Its cheap until you factor in insurance, as insurance providers quickly pointed out to me.

l0gan
01-06-2002, 12:04 AM
insurance doesnt need to know though.... lol

look around im sure you can find some used parts that you wont have to tell the insurance company about

Chris
01-07-2002, 12:29 PM
I meant stangs are cheap until insurance. But otherwise, don't mention the upgrades!

GTStang
01-11-2002, 08:26 PM
If your goal is to build a street terror your always better of with a V-8. It is way more cost effective to go by a V-8 and drop the half the cash on each performance part and get double the hp as compared to that 4 banger u'd be trying to squeeze more out of which already from the factory is gettin pushed hard. But you gotta give it to those rice-burners for V-TEC, it's like having 2 totally different cams in one engine, one that gives you great torque and operates in that idle-4,000rpm range and another high lift one that gives you that max horsepower and works in that 4,000 to 7,000 rpm range. Imagine if the built a V-8 with that...... DAMMMM! So with my lil dreaming speach there, I hope that explians V-tec for every1. As for a type R intgera, R stands for Racing, It's the rice rocket kids myth stock car that is Allah or some shit? Well in it's own right it is a quick car no doubt sure to smoke mom's taurus wagon! But put that car next to a stock Mustang GT or even worse a stock Camaro or Firbird with that friggin 351 aluminium block and that Import kid just got a bad taste of reality. Mugen is like Ford Racing or Mopar Performance except it is for Honda. Type S stands for Sport similiar situation as Type R except even more overestimated. Spoon is know for there Spoon engines, it is a honda engine that would be bought like a crate motor

tatt2frk
01-13-2002, 12:30 AM
I Got a 92' talon with minor upgrades but still a 4-banger. I have no prob. keeping up with a
stock 99' camaro ss with half the cylinders, and better gas mileage. I don't think that u can
compare the 2 it's all in opinion and what u like.

Chris
01-13-2002, 06:03 PM
If you were to put a turbo on a Camaro like your Talon has, then buh-bye. But still, with some basic mods (more boost from a chip, intake, exhaust, etc), then you would have 250hp. And you weigh a little less and have AWD. But a Civic Si is front wheel drive, has no turbo (theres $4000 to get one, and say, 100hp, when it would give a Camaro 200hp), and you still have FWD, so it wouldn't really be able to keep up.

Also, your Talon was made with sporting intentions, a Civic wasn't.

I like V8's, but the cars they've been in that are affordable are kinda big, heavy, and don't handle. And insurance is a lot. Thats why I went after an MR2 S/C or 323 GTX (both sports cars with FI). But Insurance shot me down:(

GTStang
01-14-2002, 12:09 AM
Originally posted by tatt2frk
I Got a 92' talon with minor upgrades but still a 4-banger. I have no prob. keeping up with a
stock 99' camaro ss with half the cylinders, and better gas mileage. I don't think that u can
compare the 2 it's all in opinion and what u like.

I'd like to know what your mods are because I have to believe that you either have more than minor upgrades or you don't understand. I have seen Talon TSI's turning in high 14's and stock SS turnin low 13's. Now a second may seem like a lot but it's only bout 2 car lengths in the 1/4. So if you just messing round on the street and u are behind are car length maybe 2 you may think your are keeping up but you really not

tatt2frk
01-14-2002, 03:24 AM
i understand where u might be thinking that i can not keep up with a SS in my talon with only minor upgrades. These are minor to me, port and polished head, stock turbo 16 lbs. of boost, blowoff valve,underdrive pulleys, clutchmasters clutch. I did say no prob. but i should
i can hang with it. My friend has a 99' camaro ss auto we raced 3 times. Worst race was the front of my car was at the back of his door. Which i don't think is to bad for a 4 cylinder.

But an argument, conversation, or writing about this topic will never be solved because
there is no "BETTER ONE" it's all an opinion and everyones' is different. Who cares how many
cylinders, where it be 4,6,8,10,....200 as long as where all RACING.:smoker2:

Chris
01-14-2002, 12:47 PM
Those are some good mods for a turbo'd car. I can see you keeping up no problem. That is the type of stuff I was planning (w/o the port and polish).

as long as where all RACING

Amen:cool:

GTStang
01-14-2002, 11:58 PM
I agree that your car with ported or polished heads prob will keep up. But most people say minor mods it does not include P&P heads. Not argueing about which is better just sick of hearing a lot of bullshit statements from people

tatt2frk
01-16-2002, 09:45 PM
Yea, i guess p&p is more than minor. That also sucks when people type bullshit that they know nothing about. They watch fast and the furious one time and they know everything about
cars and racing.

CivyFellow
01-17-2002, 02:01 PM
"Also, your Talon was made with sporting intentions, a Civic wasn't. "

This is true with a stock Civic ex but my friend was talking about a Civic Si which is a low grade Typre R which in turn is designed for sporting or track intentions.

-Damn Why are Mugen Parts so Expensive.

tatt2frk
01-17-2002, 02:21 PM
ok now any car could beat my car. i was racing a 93 civic as soon as i shifted out of 1st
my trans. just went to shit. I hate when stuff breaks but that is the price u pay to play.
So now it is for sale for $2000 so is my 87 GSXR 750.

GTStang
01-18-2002, 12:41 AM
That sucks man I hear that shit, my first car was an 83' Mustang GT and after sinking bout 5 G's in parts I dropped the bottom end of my engine racing a Vette. But I got a new ride that I could dump all my money into and I'm sure you'll do the same.

Good Luck!

Sweet_n_fast
01-24-2002, 08:27 PM
:flipa: OK. thing about it if you have a vtec acura with a T4 turbo putting out 22 psi and you pull up to a mustang 5.0 and leave the piece in your dust think how that makes you feel. and oo ya you should see the look the mustang has on its face when they loose to a honda :) not to mention they have twice the displacement of a 2.2 liter vtec and oo ya by the way the vtec have just as much horse power of a stock 1980 mustang. humm what is better.

peace

GTStang
01-25-2002, 12:49 AM
First of all you can go buy a friggin Type R Integra and it has less hp and torque than an stock 87-93 5.0.
Type R: 190hp 137ft/lbs-Massive Torque, Bet that hurts at a stop light!
87-93 5.0 225hp 195ft/lbs

Don't get mad at me cuz you got a gay lil 4-Banger
Secondly go buy any friggin supercharger for a 5.0 motor and run it at just 12psi and watch that Acura owner cry cuz he just got his ass handed to him and while he is still waiting for his lil turbo to spool up. Then see who is smiling :flipa:
Even if you wanna match turbos. A friggin stang owner can just through Twin Turbos on for you to feel special.
No matter what you do to your lil 4-banger I'll can do the same and will get more from it and pay less.

No Replacement for Displacement!!!!!!!!!!

jettaIII
02-07-2002, 09:06 PM
First off, Sweet_n_Fast, way to jump in and insult people. There is also no Acura with a 2.2l VTEC engine. And it's stupid to drop in the H22A Prelude engine if that's what you're talking about. And do you have any idea how much work it takes to run 22psi w/out blowing your engine to hell??? Not very realistic.:rolleyes:
I'm actually more into imports, so I'll stick up for them next. I can see a Talon/Eclipse beating a Camaro with minor mods. When you add even little things like intake, exhaust to factory FI cars, it increases the boost the engine is putting out (peak boost and spikes, a good reason to get a boost gauge). Sucks about your tranny, bro GTStang, it doesn't take long for a turbo to spool up, usually ~3k rpm. Plus if you launch at or above that, you'll be boosting already, so you won't have to any turbo lag at the start. The Type-R vs. 'Stang wouldn't be such a blowaway either. The Type-R is very very light, and the Mustang is quite the opposite, given the size of the engine, etc. Equal drivers, you got a close race. "No replacement for displacement"? The only replacement for displacement is technology. If a Camaro put out the same horsepower per litre as say an S2000 (2.0 liters, 240hp, you do the math) then it would pump out around 700hp stock. How sweet would that be.:D There's also the gas mileage thing... Pros and Cons for each side, its all in personal preference. Torque is a BLAST, but there's something about VTEC screaming @8500rpm (or 9500 in the S2k!)!
Chris- turbos aren't quite $4000. Usually at least. It can add up though, so you aren't far off. And with good tuning, it should give you quite a bit more than 100hp.
Spoon is a small Japanese company specializing in Honda/Acuras. They make crate engines (HIGH revving, good hp), frickin LIGHT wheels, suspension, cf hoods, etc, etc. Great company, REALLY expensive.
Hope I was helpful, we all love cars so lets all get along
:smoker2:

ZiEnZeRo
03-06-2002, 01:22 AM
You gotta give it up to asian cars....v-8 do have huge off the line power and simple upgrades but imports, from honda's 4 banger civic to nissan's inline 6 skyline do tear em' up.....spoon produces engines specifically for honda....they have upgraded the type-r integra engine to a 13k red line and a crazy amount of hp....they don't all look the same *thanks to the miracle of fiberglass and carbon fiber*....and you never see to modified imports with the same specs....well, i'm going v8 hunting....be back in seconds

egroot
03-06-2002, 08:22 PM
Originally posted by GTStang

I have seen Talon TSI's turning in high 14's and stock SS turnin low 13's. Now a second may seem like a lot but it's only bout 2 car lengths in the 1/4. So if you just messing round on the street and u are behind are car length maybe 2 you may think your are keeping up but you really not

sorry, gtstang; let's assume a trap speed of 90 mph. that can be converted to 132 ft/sec, or 8.65 mustang lengths behind. if you get beaten by a second, you will know you got spanked.

THE4TH
03-08-2002, 03:08 AM
ok well if buyin a v8 is better than buyin a bag of rice then would you mind explaining to me how a crx can smoke a viper...
granted the squeezin of the 4 cyl. is maxed but then again you still stand by your v8 nevermind the v10 which was also modded

Chris
03-12-2002, 02:01 PM
Um, have you seen the Pikes Peak Tacoma? It has a 2L 4, with 850hp. IT did the quarter in the 8-9 second range on pikes peak tires. So it may have a ricey engine, but it can haul ass. Have you seen Funny cars? They have 5.7L or so engines with a carb, pushrods, 2 valves per cylinder. Then they rev up to 8000+rpm, and make 1300hp, and do the quarter in about 6.5 seconds, wayyyyy faster than the import drag racers. Old tech V8's can and do smoke new-style ricers.

And of course a 2000lb CRX converted to rear wheel drive with a 900hp nitrous-fed engine can beat a 550 hp viper that weighs 3000 pounds. The laws of physics dont give a rats ass as to the type of car.

Kain
03-19-2002, 09:03 PM
Well, I was hunting around for Talons and cuaght site of this topic, and couldn't resist posting. First let me say, that I like both ricers, and the muscles cars of old, althoug, for the most part I cant stand mustangs, for to many of them on the road for my taste. I'm a big fan of DSMs, and don't really think its that much of a challenge to take a 350 90s camero in a DSM. I mean, yes they put out a lot of power, I like the bottom end pick up V8s have...but... A AWD Talon runs what, low 14s stock, I mean, a better exhuast system would help greatly, shaving maybe 5/10s off your quarter time. Or just getting a boost controller, a stock DSM can take around 30 psi of boost, and the stock turbo can put out a lot more boost than it is rated for. When you start talking funny cars, you have to remember, those are Funny cars, all is is the engine pushing itsself down the track, although you do have a good point about what kind of engine they use. Chevy rigged a Cavalier that put out 800 hundred horses. Ahhh well, enough of my rabling post...

THE4TH
03-22-2002, 07:51 AM
buy a b series honda engine... they are cheap and fun to play with they are mix and match ..... try for a b18c5....

leolo007
03-30-2002, 03:43 AM
Lets have a boxing match with Trinidad(excellent boxer) vs. Holyfield(another excellent boxer)... But why not.. because they are in different categories...lightweight,heavyweight... inline 4, v8. why do we compare v8 with inline 4? But if we must then we must. I have a 92 civic hatchback with a gsr engine in it and turbo running low boost. Without any hassle I beat my friends 94 cobra with some upgrades. He paid 12grand for the car, I have spent less than that on mine. (connections). He pays an insane amount of insurance I pay $75/month full coverage. Now some may say "um, well, you see, if you put a turbo on the mustang.. bla bla bla," well, if I put another gsr engine in the rear of my civic to equal the 8 cylinders whos going to go down in flames. theres a hyundai going around doing 0-60 in less than 4 seconds, thats right, two engines. and for the joker who said something about funny cars, go do some research on a 4000HP integra funny car.

keegs01
03-31-2002, 06:42 AM
i think the whole what sorta engine is best is a personal preference. If u like ur turbo four then thats great and if u prefer a blown v8 well thats great to. for me i recon why not get the best of both worlds and drop it into an Aussie holden ute. Twin turbo v8. for me the only way to go.:devil:
anyway back to fighting bout who is best...................

MArk Skaife ur the F@#king King:devil:

Holden Racing Team

THE4TH
04-15-2002, 06:45 AM
ya damn right.. take two s2000 engines and hook it up... that's sick... there's a problem with that it should be illegal ...
oh well

1 mugen
06-23-2002, 02:34 AM
HEY guys, Iam new here just happened to stumble across this forum while looking for integra parts for my car.

I have a 1990 Da-7 Integra generation 2, runnig a normal honda engine with racing pistons and a polised head. It's not injected but it's twin carbbed.

Had some work done to my engine, and spent alot of $$$ on it.
Still I can keep up with a B16a vtec but don't have a chance with a prelude or gen 3 Integra vtec.

my plates on my Teg is= 1 Mugen.

:sun:

ImportCraze101
07-02-2002, 11:12 PM
To be honest V-8's pump out alot of off the line horsepower. On the other hand if you really tried to race a WRX stock and a GT Cobra stock, the Cobra would still be burning out while the WRX was hailfway down the track. :D And even if you did manage to catch up most domestics top out at around 95 to 120mph. Imports on average top out at around 120 to 160mph. Putting NOS on a domestic wouldn't help you.
:p

ImportCraze101
07-02-2002, 11:22 PM
To be honest V-8's pump out alot of off the line horsepower. On the other hand if you really tried to race a WRX stock and a GT Cobra stock, the Cobra would still be burning out while the WRX was halfway down the track. :D And even if the Cobra did manage to catch up, most domestics top out at around 95 to 120mph. Imports on average top out at around 120 to 160mph. Putting NOS on a domestic wouldn't help you.
:p

THE4TH
07-07-2002, 01:37 AM
gotta love the gov. cause as said it will cut a dom. early.. and the japs like speed.. so we get to play till 160 or so .. if we can hit it of course..
god save the honda...

V8vtec
07-09-2002, 01:03 PM
for all of you that r intested honda is making a v8 w/ vtec, im sure u guys have heard of the nsx, in japan there is an nsx-r (type r) its a 3.0 v6 w/ vtec pumping out 280 horses and can be most american v8s including the vette z06 in the quarter, well in 05 or so these nsx's will be implimented w/ a new powerplant, a v8 w/ vtec it will prolly be 4.2l capable of 500hp or so, and can probably get better gas milage then ne american v8 out there. Im as big of fan as v8s as u guys but older v8s such as old stangs have too much problems w/ oil leaks and shit if i were u i'd get a reliable car that can get to place to place, untill u can afford a real v8 like a 95 stang or high 80s vette. untill then i'd just get a miny truck or maybe an integra or civic something that will get u place to place w/o having to pay more money into fixing a old v8............ just my 2 cent hope no one get offended:)

THE4TH
07-11-2002, 01:32 AM
you are very right...
honda will put an 8 cyl into the nsx.. eventually..
and it will smoke everything..
they want to get more into the exotic market..
against ferrari and so on..
i can't wait to see that thing roll...

rob2000
07-11-2002, 04:38 AM
i wonder if this will fit in my integera........

Engine 90 W16
Engine location Mid, longitudinally mounted
Displacement 7.993 liter / 487.8 cu in
Valvetrain 4 valves/cylinder, DOHC
Fuel feed Fuel injection
Aspiration 4 Turbos
Gearbox 7 Speed Semi-automatic
Drive All wheel drive

Performance figures
Power 1001 bhp / 746.7 kW @ 6000 rpm
BHP/Liter 125.2
Torque 1250 Nm / 922.0 ft lbs @ 2200-5500 rpm
Power to weight ratio N/A
Top Speed 252.3 mph / 406.0 km/h

http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/large/1076-6.jpg

THE4TH
07-11-2002, 01:10 PM
nice motor man ...
i'd love to run that in a sol and see how long it takes it to blow up...
lol.. that would be great..

Add your comment to this topic!