Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Auto TC Lockup.

KiwiBacon
07-11-2007, 04:54 AM
I finally got the lockup switch into the auto box (transmission) in my car. This allows me to lock up the torque converter clutch at wll, which removes the whole slush feeling from the transmission.
I just spliced into the appropriate wire on the transmission harness and applied 12v.
I had to wire in a diode as the first attempt at powering it up caused all sorts of dash lights to flash at me.

Driving results are interesting. The car is much easier to hold speed and goes a whole lot better at speed. Fuel economy should be improved, but it's too early to tell.
The gears still change up as expected and still kickdown, but with the switch on it won't change down as you reduce speed.

Downsides.
With the switch on shifting shock is increased and I'm not game
to leave it on and coast all the way to a stop. I'm only using it on hills and the open road.

I'd like to rig it up to the throttle position sensor, so the lockup will be released when the pedal is released. This will let the car change down normally and coast to a stop without problems. But still give all the benefits during acceleration and cruising.

Moppie
07-12-2007, 12:32 AM
How much number 8 did you put into it?

KiwiBacon
07-12-2007, 01:36 AM
How much number 8 did you put into it?

Not enough. Will fit some more in when I work out the TPS side of things.

Add your comment to this topic!