Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

1994 Olds Achieva acceleration hesitation

dannb
07-10-2007, 10:08 PM
http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/images/icons/icon9.gif 1994 Olds Achieva acceleration hesitation
Help Please.....We have a 1994 Olds Achieva w/3100 engine the engine runs great at idle except when you put it in gear and try to accelerate it seems to want to die but tends to chug along a bit till it hits higher speeds. We have changed the fuel pump, fuel filter, plugs and wires but still does the same. But Also the converter tends to get extremly hot.... Anyone have any ideas?

Roseram
09-25-2007, 10:47 AM
try changing the egr valve

richtazz
09-25-2007, 12:02 PM
First, is your check engine light on? If so, what coeds are stored? No CEL, then either do an exhaust system back-presure test, or disconnect the exhaust temporarily and see if it runs better (albeit louder). If it runs better sans exhaust, you have a blocked/clogged converter. If unhooking the exhaust doesn't help, or it passes the back pressure test, more info will be needed.

autonut112
10-06-2007, 07:53 PM
i have a 1993 3.3 achieva and i have the same exact problem except mine will excelerate if i pump the gas pedal i thought it could be the tps so i replaced it and nothin changed i checked for stored codes and got 26,27,28 which are the quad driver circuit (26), quad driver 1 (27) and quad driver 2 (28). the chilton book i have has nothing about the quad driver at all. from what i have read in the forums it has to be one of the many sensors or circuits relating to the pcm so i guess we are gonna have to just test em all till someone who has had our same problem and fixed it lets us in on the secret.. good luck.

autonut112
10-15-2007, 02:26 PM
hint hint, how about not the egr valve since its electronic try removing the MAF sensor and first use a little bit of brake cleaner and a q-tip and clean off the two electrodes cause after alot of miles they get caked with dirt and dust debris. i did it on my 93 achieva and my dads 89 cutlass. both cars run like new again and it saved me a total of $165.00 each. (price ea of sensors at auto parts store or dealer). you all are welcome. if this dont work, your MAF sensor is either BAD, or you have a different problem. then like i did you will have to trouble shoot every sensor that sends your PCM signals about either fuel, spark, or air. good luck.

Add your comment to this topic!