Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

how to set timing on 86' grand national

SkidooZ08
07-10-2007, 02:52 PM
if anyone could tell me how to set the timing for an 86' grand national it would be extremely helpful for my friend and i. its together now it runs very rough and we think it could be timing. just let me know please!! thanks

justav6
08-06-2007, 10:45 PM
its probably not the timing. by runs rough you mean idle or cruise or full throttle? is the car stock?

richtazz
08-10-2007, 02:06 PM
The turbo Regal GNs in 86-87 didn't have a distributor, so there is no way to set the timing. If the spark timing is off, it's either a wopped out timing chain or a bad ignition module, crank position sensor or cam postion sensor.

87 GRANNY
11-29-2007, 09:16 PM
87 regals had no distributors but they have cam position sensors in the distributor location. 86 cars as far as i know had this same set-up. Timing can be set by rotating this sensor as we did the distributor it is done with a
mulimeter to determine number one tdc position . A manual does explain in detail-not saying this is your problem but if this sensor has been tampered with or moved timing should be verified.

alb84
01-05-2008, 09:35 PM
There is no adjustment for the timeing. It runs when the cam sensor is set correctly, and it will not run if it is not. There are many things that could make it run rough, but that is low on the list unless you tried moving it. If you did, then you can go to the Turbo Regal Site @ gnttype.org. There you will find information on how to set the cam sensor. So if you could give us a little more info on the rough running maybe we could figure it out.
Danny

HotZ28
01-05-2008, 09:56 PM
Thanks for your input guys; however, this is an Older Thread that should not be resurrected! :shakehead
http://img326.imageshack.us/img326/4093/threadclosedga9.gif

Add your comment to this topic!