Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

2000 Kia after fixing 4 wheel drive problem

terlay
07-09-2007, 07:12 PM
I just realized my 2000 Sportage 4x4 didn't work last week after getting stuck somewhere where I shouldn't have. From reading all of the previous messages in this forum and many others, I've realized this has probably been broken for awhile, I just didn't know it. My sportage has 99,100 miles on it and when we called the dealer to describe what was happening to the car, he couldn't believe this is the first problem with the 4x4 that we've had.

Anyway, I picked the car back up today after having this problem fixed, and drove about a mile down the road to put gas in the car. When I parked it and cut it off, it started rolling backwards. It was in the park position but wouldn't quit rolling backwards. I re-cranked the car to pull it back up to the gas pump I had been parked at, but it wouldn't go into any gear, but instead made an aweful grinding noise, so I cut it back off. Even after putting the car in park, turning it off, and putting the emergency brake on, it wouldn't quit rolling backwards unless I also held the regular brake.

I got the dealer to send a wrecker to pick us up. They have now told me that when they hooked up the 4x4 after fixing it, that it now has other problems, which will have to be diagnosed and then they will call me and let me know what it is. They said that they could "undo" the work that they had done to fix the 4x4, and I could drive the car until they could figure out what the new problem was and got the parts ordered, which in and of itself does not even make sense.This car has had problem after problem, which I won't go into detail about right now, except to say, every time I've ever had to take this car in for one problem, it always comes back with another more serious one. IF the warranty covered the 1st problem, you can be sure that it will not cover the problem that was created while it was being worked on.

What I'd like to know is what should I expect them to tell me when they call me back tomorrow? This all happened at closing time today, so they said it would be tomorrow before they could give us an idea of what was wrong. I refused to drive the car home, as it is way to close to the warranty running out on the 4x4 in the first place, although the service manager assured me he could "fix" the mileage if I managed to drive over the warranty mileage while waiting on the parts to come in. He also told me to expect that whatever they found wrong with it now, it would not be covered under the same warranty as the 4x4, as it was probably caused by the 4x4 being broken in the first place.

Any advice or suggestions are more than welcome!!!:banghead::banghead::banghead:

LMP
07-09-2007, 09:17 PM
A lot of confusion here......
First it is an automatic, right...
2nd....when the car "backed up" while in park...the engine was not running..right? SO...it just "freewheeled" as there was an incline at the gas station, right ?
So....either the park did not engage....or what....where did they do something for the 4x4 problem that they can "undo now"..??? and athat would fixx the "free wheel problem..??"....did they work in the transfer case???
4 wheel drive problems with this car "always" are with the front wheel hubs....so I do not understand what they have to undo there if they fixed it there, that would correct the "other" problem....
Given all that confusion and the apparent incoherence of what they did, please try to describe where they intervened. NOthing about the front wheel hubs would explain what you describe afterwards. ANd obviously, your hand brake is not working...was it OK before? This has no relation to anything 4x4..
And what parts are on order?.....Hubs?
More details please...all that is non sense......I would rather keep away from that dealer....

p.s. ahh...yeah...now that "grinding noise" lights up something in my mind...are you sure the transfer case shifter was not accidentally positioned between 4HI and 4LO? (but why would it be on 4 anyway when driving on dry pavement..?) With the automatic, there is no "clickstop" position for transfer case neutral (while there is one with the manual) ...but it can be in fact loosely positioned between HI and LO, thus tcase neutral, ..and let the car free wheel....and the car would not move with engine ronning, in any gear...and a slight move of the t-case lever could grind the gears...that would make some sense....but curious it would generate all that fuss....
Please comment....
ANd...please confirm the car was never NEVER driven on asphalt on 4x4? THis would destroy the T-case or/and other things....

terlay
07-10-2007, 02:22 PM
A lot of confusion here......
First it is an automatic, right...
2nd....when the car "backed up" while in park...the engine was not running..right? SO...it just "freewheeled" as there was an incline at the gas station, right ?
So....either the park did not engage....or what....where did they do something for the 4x4 problem that they can "undo now"..??? and athat would fixx the "free wheel problem..??"....did they work in the transfer case???
4 wheel drive problems with this car "always" are with the front wheel hubs....so I do not understand what they have to undo there if they fixed it there, that would correct the "other" problem....
Given all that confusion and the apparent incoherence of what they did, please try to describe where they intervened. NOthing about the front wheel hubs would explain what you describe afterwards. ANd obviously, your hand brake is not working...was it OK before? This has no relation to anything 4x4..
And what parts are on order?.....Hubs?
More details please...all that is non sense......I would rather keep away from that dealer....

p.s. ahh...yeah...now that "grinding noise" lights up something in my mind...are you sure the transfer case shifter was not accidentally positioned between 4HI and 4LO? (but why would it be on 4 anyway when driving on dry pavement..?) With the automatic, there is no "clickstop" position for transfer case neutral (while there is one with the manual) ...but it can be in fact loosely positioned between HI and LO, thus tcase neutral, ..and let the car free wheel....and the car would not move with engine ronning, in any gear...and a slight move of the t-case lever could grind the gears...that would make some sense....but curious it would generate all that fuss....
Please comment....
ANd...please confirm the car was never NEVER driven on asphalt on 4x4? THis would destroy the T-case or/and other things....
At least I'm not the only one confused here :runaround:

Ok, this is an automatic transmission. The engine was shut off, the car in park, and rolling backwards, even while engaging the brake pedal and the emergency brake. And yes, there was a slight incline behind me, which caused the car to begin rolling backwards. I, too, thought maybe the car had been left in 4x4 from the dealer test drive, so I checked it, and no, the car shifter was as it was supposed to be and not in 4x4. When taking the car in for service originally, the service manager stated he was aware that with these cars, that the front hubs would not engage due to the fact that the vacuum hoses leading to the front hubs don't last long, so they would have to replace the hoses, which is what they did. That was suppossed to be all that they were going to do, and it was warranty work, so I did not receive an invoice when I picked it up.

When they towed the car back in, the service manager went to take a look, and he stated that evidently the car now thought it was always in 4x4, and the front hubs would not disengage, which he stated is what was causing the grinding noise when I tried to put the car in D, R, L1 or L2, and it wouldn't budge except to begin rolling backwards, but not like the car was in gear, and all the while making that aweful grinding noise. He stated he could take off the vacuum hoses he had replaced, so that the car would again work like it did before I took it in to begin with, with no 4x4, until such time I could bring the car back in. He also stated that when these vacuum hoses break, that sometimes dirt, grime, etc can get sucked into the hoses and cause other problems, which is what he suspects has happened, and that whatever the new problems is, it will not be covered under warranty because it is from my not having the vacuum hoses fixed when they first broke. I've never used the 4x4 before, so I had no reason to even know they were broke to begin with. At this time, I am still waiting on them to call and let me know what the latest is, so I can't answer any more questions.

Believe me, I didn't want to use this dealership, but the other 2 that I've used in the past, are just as bad. I'd take the car in for one thing, and before getting a couple of miles down the road, it had things wrong with it that weren't there when I took it in to begin with. Both other dealerships are more than an hour from my home, and they refuse to provide a rental. I am disabled, so waiting around in a car dealership all day long while they work on my car is not an option.

Anyway, hope this better explains things, if not, I'll try again after they call to give me an update.

Thanks so much for your time!

hvac1000
07-10-2007, 09:30 PM
At least I'm not the only one confused here :runaround:

Ok, this is an automatic transmission. The engine was shut off, the car in park, and rolling backwards, even while engaging the brake pedal and the emergency brake. And yes, there was a slight incline behind me, which caused the car to begin rolling backwards. I, too, thought maybe the car had been left in 4x4 from the dealer test drive, so I checked it, and no, the car shifter was as it was supposed to be and not in 4x4. When taking the car in for service originally, the service manager stated he was aware that with these cars, that the front hubs would not engage due to the fact that the vacuum hoses leading to the front hubs don't last long, so they would have to replace the hoses, which is what they did. That was suppossed to be all that they were going to do, and it was warranty work, so I did not receive an invoice when I picked it up.

When they towed the car back in, the service manager went to take a look, and he stated that evidently the car now thought it was always in 4x4, and the front hubs would not disengage, which he stated is what was causing the grinding noise when I tried to put the car in D, R, L1 or L2, and it wouldn't budge except to begin rolling backwards, but not like the car was in gear, and all the while making that aweful grinding noise. He stated he could take off the vacuum hoses he had replaced, so that the car would again work like it did before I took it in to begin with, with no 4x4, until such time I could bring the car back in. He also stated that when these vacuum hoses break, that sometimes dirt, grime, etc can get sucked into the hoses and cause other problems, which is what he suspects has happened, and that whatever the new problems is, it will not be covered under warranty because it is from my not having the vacuum hoses fixed when they first broke. I've never used the 4x4 before, so I had no reason to even know they were broke to begin with. At this time, I am still waiting on them to call and let me know what the latest is, so I can't answer any more questions.

Believe me, I didn't want to use this dealership, but the other 2 that I've used in the past, are just as bad. I'd take the car in for one thing, and before getting a couple of miles down the road, it had things wrong with it that weren't there when I took it in to begin with. Both other dealerships are more than an hour from my home, and they refuse to provide a rental. I am disabled, so waiting around in a car dealership all day long while they work on my car is not an option.

Anyway, hope this better explains things, if not, I'll try again after they call to give me an update.

Thanks so much for your time!

Sounds like they messed up the shift linkage when they repaired it. There is a paw in the transmission that lock the transmission when in park. OR they broke the paw by slaming the transmission in park while it was still moving. It could be an expensive repair if they have to go into the tranny.

e_powers
07-11-2007, 11:20 AM
Sounds like they messed up the shift linkage when they repaired it. There is a paw in the transmission that lock the transmission when in park. OR they broke the paw by slaming the transmission in park while it was still moving. It could be an expensive repair if they have to go into the tranny.
i concure also. and it should be a free repair. since they broke it. it is usually a little tang designed to "break" when a car is hit in the rear in park. to reduce damage to car being hit and the possibly the driver in the car being hit.

terlay
07-11-2007, 01:27 PM
i concure also. and it should be a free repair. since they broke it. it is usually a little tang designed to "break" when a car is hit in the rear in park. to reduce damage to car being hit and the possibly the driver in the car being hit.

Thanks e_powers & hvac1000!

I just got off the phone with the service dept. They are saying they have no clue what is wrong, that they are in the process of checking all the sensors and coding to see what the problem is. They also re-stated, this will NOT be warranty work, as it has nothing to do with the work they did on the vacuum hoses for the hubs. Needless to say, I'm getting ready to call Kia, as I've always had to do in the past. It's a crying shame when every time you have one problem you have to take your car in for, and come out with multiple other problems that they always say has nothing to do with the 1st problem.

Thanks so much for your time, and you can be sure I'm going to tell the Kia people your suggestions and we'll just see who pays for what:uhoh:

LMP
07-12-2007, 07:36 AM
When they towed the car back in, the service manager ..stated that evidently the car now thought it was always in 4x4, and the front hubs would not disengage, which he stated is what was causing the grinding noise when I tried to put the car in D, R, L1 or L2, and it wouldn't budge !
OK.Classic: hoses are just the tip of the iceberg and not the priomary cause of flawed hubs: the solenoid valve that directs vacuum to the front hubs is leaking vacuum so that even if shift lever is in 2WD, the hubs stay engaged by the vacuum, totally or partially..and partially is what grinds the hubs. THis is a classic. Mine acted like that too, and a lot of others. That grinding is the front wheels trying to turn the shafts...(in 2WD) , or driving shafts tryin g to turn the wheels (in 4WD).
First: unplug the vacuum line to the wheel hubs:
www.geocities.com/lmp4203/kiasport/vacsol.jpg
this will take care of the grinding...but no more front wheel drive..anyway, it is probably shot already.
All in all, GET RID of the vacuum hubs and install new WARN automechanical or manuals. The 95-01 Sportage Automatic hublock is a WARN part number 61918. Manuals 60247
http://www.4buy4.com/warn_premiumhubs2.htm
www.geocities.com/lmp4203/kiasport/hubinstall.pdf

NOw why it does not keep "in gear" is another matter...weird...and it is out of the transmission since it seems to try to drive the front wheels...it just behaves like if now you had drive on the front wheels only..like the rear wheels are disconnected...did they forget to reinstall the rear driving shaft,that they would have removed for some unknown reason (like playing around the transfer case?)..or is the transfer case actually shot?..or they messed with the linkages, like HVAC suggests...all which urges you to get the car out of there....unless you can prove they goofed and you can have them pay for it....Fact is the car did run before .....even after the incident in the "somewhere where I shouldn't have been", didn't it?

terlay
07-12-2007, 06:07 PM
.Fact is the car did run before .....even after the incident in the "somewhere where I shouldn't have been", didn't it?

What I meant by this, is that it got stuck somewhere where it shouldn't have gotten stuck, as it had never done so before, and I go to this area quite often. It was a little dirt road with no gravel that was covered with wet leaves on a slight incline. Sorry to not explain so well.

I spoke with the Dealer & Kia again today. The dealer says my car is on the racks being checked out, but I've been by there several times and it's parked in the lot exactly where the wrecker left it. Kia was actually really nice, and wanted to know why the dealership was trying to claim this was my fault. I told them I had no idea, it worked fine when I took it in, except 4x4, and now it won't go at all. I have them all the info I've gotten from you all here, plus what our personal mechanic has stated, which is basically what you all have said. Kia wanted to know where we got "our" info, and I simply told them it was none of their business, but I expected my car back ASAP and I'd see them in court before they got a dime out of me. The didn't seem to happy that we were armed with our own info, but hey, that's their problem. They promised to have the dealer call me back tomorrow with an update, so I guess we'll wait and see.

Add your comment to this topic!