Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

98 PA ULTRA Weird Sound Trans or Supercharger?

rhauck203
07-08-2007, 11:03 PM
I just purchased a Ultra with 64,000 miles. During the test drive of about 30 minutes didnt notice anything unusual so I bought the car as is. It was a one owner but from a car lot.

After 100 miles of driving I now notice after the engine warms up at idle I start hearing a very starnge rattleing from under the hood, Almost sounds like rocks in the engine being tumbled about..My first impression was maybe the supercharger coupler? I inspected the supercharger more closely and it looks as if the snout part has been recently serviced as it looked much cleaner than the rest of the Super Charger. But what is strange is if I put the car in park or neutral the sound goes away completly.

The trans seems to shift great and firm and I checked the fluid and it had a nice color and no weird smells and it was at the correct level. Any ideas??

This is my first Park Avenue and first supercharger car so kinda clueless here. I am fairly knowlagable about engines but never herd a sound like this. Any help would be greatly appreciated..Thanks in advance

Randy

HotZ28
07-09-2007, 05:55 PM
Start the engine and let it warm up, then take both belts off and see if the noise is still there. If it is, check the harmonic balancer. You will see many threads here on this subject, if you do a Search Forums (http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/search.php)

Now, if the noise is not there with both belts removed, put one belt back on and do the same thing. If the noise returns, check everything that belt turns, piece by piece, with the belt off! You should not assume, that if the supercharger snout is clean, it has had recent service, or that it is in good condition. The only way to check SC coupler is with the belt off. If you can rock the pulley back & forth without resistance, then you could suspect the coupler.

Of course, you could have loose a torque converter bolt, or a broken flex plate, or some internal trans or engine problems!:uhoh: Let’s use the KISS procedure first and hope for a easy, cheap solution to this. :grinyes:

Add your comment to this topic!