Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Still Starting Problem 90 Pa

Flyingwhitey
07-08-2007, 04:40 PM
I'm Back! Alright Camshaft sensors, starter, crankshaft sensor, fuel pump AND tank all replaced. It starts with ether, When switching into gears it kinda of stalls. I've got someone telling me about a oil pressure swtich. This cars about to vanish into the junkyard.. Help please

Mickey#1
07-08-2007, 07:31 PM
I see you've been having trouble for almost 2 months. If you're ready to get to work & can check in here a few times each evening we should be able to narrow this down in 2 days.

Do you have a voltmeter or can you borrow one?
Do you know how to test the Throttle Position Sensor?

Flyingwhitey
07-08-2007, 07:36 PM
Yeah to the Volt, I know where the Throttle sensor is, but not how to test it. I've pretty much decieded to actually get it professionally looked at and just fix it that way.

Mickey#1
07-08-2007, 09:13 PM
These cars have a "clear flood mode". When the throttle is wide open or near wide open the computer turns off the fuel injectors. I've seen one case where the TPS was faulty & indicating full throttle at idle. This can be checked with a voltmeter, one of the wires should be around 1/2 volt. I don't have my manual here right now so I can't tell you till tomorrow which wires to test. I'll post it tomorrow if nobody beats me to it.

Flyingwhitey
07-08-2007, 09:41 PM
Wow! I feel so stupid for not mentioning this. Alright this all stemed from about 3 months ago. It was when the check engine light first came on. I was driving down the road.. and my friend pulled up next to me..So of course I gave er full out. And that's when the light came on. And just recently when you said that it seems to have really sparked something. Sounding about right?

Flyingwhitey
07-09-2007, 12:22 PM
ALright, I wake up this morning won't start, not even with ether. So I say screw it, i'm tired of getting nowhere myself, if anything backwards. I'm just taking it to someone who knows what they're doing and proceed to let them rape me.:S

wrightz28
07-09-2007, 01:40 PM
Post the outcome, I'm intrugued.

Flyingwhitey
07-10-2007, 01:05 PM
alright, for a last ditch effort.. I'm gonna change the fuel pump relay.at least it starts with ether again :S

Mickey#1
07-10-2007, 03:18 PM
You can swap the fuel pump relay with one of others, try the horn relay.

Try this test.
Remove the wiring harness from one of the fuel injectors.
Straighten the wires on a #194 light bulb & connect it to the harness.
While someone cranks the engine look carefully for the bulb to pulse. The bulb doesn't go on & off all the way but you will see it pulse. Make sure your hands aren't near any fans or belts when the key is turned to crank the engine.:wink:

Flyingwhitey
07-10-2007, 04:00 PM
And thats to test the throttle sensor? I've replaced the relay, but that didnt work either... I already bought the relay, but i'll just keep the old one and save myself 10 bucks.

wrightz28
07-10-2007, 04:02 PM
No that's a make your own noid light to test if the injectors are being commanded to fire.

Mickey#1
07-10-2007, 06:43 PM
To test the TPS you need to put the leads of the voltmeter (set to measure DC volts) on the B & C terminals of the TPS. With the key on & throttle closed it should show about .4 volts & climb to around 4 volts at wide open throttle. The problem is that the sensor needs to be plugged in & there is no place to connect the meter. It's easier to just unplug the TPS & check the resistance across the B & C terminals. Mine was .9K ohms while closed & went up to 4K ohms at wide open throttle.

I just went out to my son's car (89 Bonneville) & unplugged the TPS. The engine fired right up. So let's keep this simple & if you're not getting injector pulse just unplug the TPS & check again for injector pulse.

Flyingwhitey
07-12-2007, 07:05 PM
Well I'm getting some of this stufdf from my old junk car. Well At the air intake. Top of the engine. Theres a sensor. It's like a rectangle. I replaced that one. and for like 10 times it started up just fine. I thought it had been fixed imagine my dismay :SSo i guess i lied when I said i knew where the TPS was. I do however see another sensor below the air intake. Would that be it?
EDIT: Rectangle thing I found out was the mass air flow sensor.

Flyingwhitey
07-14-2007, 05:14 PM
I have found it! But I face a dilema. You see the sensor is in such a location that it's near impossible to get a screw driver at, even the shortest ones. But when I seems to be able to, and get a tiny chance at it, the screwdriver slips and eats a part of the screw. Now i'm looking at this kinda blankly.. and I'm wondering if in order to get at it.. right you need to disamble the throttle body?

Flyingwhitey
07-14-2007, 09:29 PM
Meh I know i'm prolly breaking some post rule. Seeings as I think this is the third one. But! I have replaced the TPS and cleaned the spark wires, but nothing. It was a good run for a while, but now there's honestly nothing I can think of, IN anything I've read or looked at.

Add your comment to this topic!